The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Screening

Last night did my 1st girls game ( yuck ). Several times the crew made foul calls on screens against the defensive player. Only one time did I view was legitimate as player pushed through. After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called. I've been off a few months. So, some help and refresh is welcomed. Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,914
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by L W Holmes
After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called.
If we called a foul every time there was contact during a game, the games would take three or four days to complete. You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

OK - maybe you could.

BTW - if we adopt that policy, it would be a great argument in favor of going to a running clock. I like it. Of course, final scores would be something like 10-8.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by L W Holmes
Last night did my 1st girls game ( yuck ). Several times the crew made foul calls on screens against the defensive player. Only one time did I view was legitimate as player pushed through. After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called. I've been off a few months. So, some help and refresh is welcomed. Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?
You are watching the screens that are in your partners area? If so, they probably have a better look than you do.
__________________
"To learn, you have to listen. To improve, you have to try." (Thomas Jefferson)
Z
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by L W Holmes
Last night did my 1st girls game ( yuck ). Several times the crew made foul calls on screens against the defensive player. Only one time did I view was legitimate as player pushed through. After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called. I've been off a few months. So, some help and refresh is welcomed. Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?
Are you a ref?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Are you a ref?
Uh oh I see where this is going
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:54pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by L W Holmes
After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called.
Wow, that would make for a long game.

Basketball is not a non-contact sport. Probably myth #1.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 06:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,609
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Wow, that would make for a long game.
Yeah, but at the end of the game you and your partner(s) might only be reffing a 3 on 3 contest!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 16,024
Moving Screen Myth

A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Marshall, MI
Posts: 364
And then you have to factor in advantage/disadvantage...you can have minor contact on a moving screen, but if the defender get around the screen and was not slowed and was not placed at a disadvantage, then it might not be a foul.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If the "L" stands for "Larry", I understand where you are coming from.
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
And then you have to factor in advantage/disadvantage...you can have minor contact on a moving screen, but if the defender get around the screen and was not slowed and was not placed at a disadvantage, then it might not be a foul.
The OP is not asking about a moving screen. The officials were calling fouls on the defenders for running into a stationary screen.
__________________
I couldn't afford a cool signature, so I just got this one.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 06:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 16,024
Original Post

"Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?"

"The defender must be given one normal step to change direction and ATTEMPT to avoid contact."
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:23pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
"Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?"

"The defender must be given one normal step to change direction and ATTEMPT to avoid contact."
Yes, the defender has to avoid contact if the player being screened sees the screen and has an opportunity to avoid the contact(in the judgment of the official). If the player does make contact, it's supposed to be a foul on the player being screened.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screening jdoldn07 Volleyball 4 Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:53pm
Screening the defender Chess Ref Basketball 20 Tue Mar 07, 2006 02:00pm
screening question coachwithaquestion Basketball 2 Sun Feb 27, 2005 07:40pm
Screening Posture NateWalker Basketball 27 Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30am
screening kalr Basketball 7 Wed Nov 19, 2003 08:02am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1