The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Screening (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40272-screening.html)

L W Holmes Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:22pm

Screening

Last night did my 1st girls game ( yuck ). Several times the crew made foul calls on screens against the defensive player. Only one time did I view was legitimate as player pushed through. After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called. I've been off a few months. So, some help and refresh is welcomed. Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by L W Holmes
After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called.

If we called a foul every time there was contact during a game, the games would take three or four days to complete. You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

OK - maybe you could. ;)

BTW - if we adopt that policy, it would be a great argument in favor of going to a running clock. I like it. Of course, final scores would be something like 10-8.

zebraman Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:34pm

Quote:

Last night did my 1st girls game ( yuck ). Several times the crew made foul calls on screens against the defensive player. Only one time did I view was legitimate as player pushed through. After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called. I've been off a few months. So, some help and refresh is welcomed. Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?

You are watching the screens that are in your partners area? If so, they probably have a better look than you do.

rainmaker Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:37pm

Quote:

Are you a ref?

kbilla Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Are you a ref?

Uh oh I see where this is going:)

Adam Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:54pm

Quote:

After contest, crew stated that each time there was contact between players they felt foul should be called.

Wow, that would make for a long game.

Basketball is not a non-contact sport. Probably myth #1.

grunewar Tue Dec 11, 2007 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Wow, that would make for a long game.

Yeah, but at the end of the game you and your partner(s) might only be reffing a 3 on 3 contest! :D

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2007 07:59pm

Moving Screen Myth

A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Scooby Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:44pm

And then you have to factor in advantage/disadvantage...you can have minor contact on a moving screen, but if the defender get around the screen and was not slowed and was not placed at a disadvantage, then it might not be a foul.

26 Year Gap Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:47pm

If the "L" stands for "Larry", I understand where you are coming from.

Jimgolf Wed Dec 12, 2007 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
A moving screen is not in and of itself a foul, contact must occur for a foul to be called. If a blind screen is set on a stationary defender, the defender must be given one normal step to change direction and attempt to avoid contact. If a screen is set on a moving defender, the defender gets a minimum of one step and a maximum of two steps, depending on the speed and distance of the defender.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
And then you have to factor in advantage/disadvantage...you can have minor contact on a moving screen, but if the defender get around the screen and was not slowed and was not placed at a disadvantage, then it might not be a foul.

The OP is not asking about a moving screen. The officials were calling fouls on the defenders for running into a stationary screen.

BillyMac Wed Dec 12, 2007 06:32pm

Original Post

"Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?"

"The defender must be given one normal step to change direction and ATTEMPT to avoid contact."

Jurassic Referee Wed Dec 12, 2007 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
"Does the defender "have" to avoid contact?"

"The defender must be given one normal step to change direction and ATTEMPT to avoid contact."

Yes, the defender has to avoid contact <b>if</b> the player being screened sees the screen and has an opportunity to avoid the contact(in the judgment of the official). If the player does make contact, it's supposed to be a foul on the player being screened.