The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

2 Questions - Part II - NFHS

I've got two questions I need some help with. Anyone want to lend their interpretations?

Live Ball - Dead Ball

# 63 - The ball is live and A1's basket shall count if successful when B1 fouls A2 just as A1's shooting motion begins.

TRUE - 6.7.7 EXC. c

#67 - The ball becomes dead immediately when the defense commits a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason.

TRUE - 9.3.3 PEN.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

63 is true, for the reason you state.

67 is false, because the ball remains live if the violation occurs during a try. If no try is involved, then the ball is supposed to become dead immediately.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBoy
I've got two questions I need some help with. Anyone want to lend their interpretations?

Live Ball - Dead Ball

# 63 - The ball is live and A1's basket shall count if successful when B1 fouls A2 just as A1's shooting motion begins.

TRUE - 6.7.7 EXC. c

#67 - The ball becomes dead immediately when the defense commits a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason.

TRUE - 9.3.3 PEN.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!
#63 - True as you stated
#67 - False - I do not have my current books, but 06-07 9.3.2 Sit D covers it.
9.3.2 Situation D:The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called.
Ruling:B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption.
Comment:Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

For 63 the NFHS also clarified that continuous motion applies when the foul by the defense is NOT committed against the player trying for goal. It is also in force when the foul is against one of the shooter's teammates.