View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBoy
I've got two questions I need some help with. Anyone want to lend their interpretations?

Live Ball - Dead Ball

# 63 - The ball is live and A1's basket shall count if successful when B1 fouls A2 just as A1's shooting motion begins.

TRUE - 6.7.7 EXC. c

#67 - The ball becomes dead immediately when the defense commits a violation for leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason.

TRUE - 9.3.3 PEN.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!
#63 - True as you stated
#67 - False - I do not have my current books, but 06-07 9.3.2 Sit D covers it.
9.3.2 Situation D:The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called.
Ruling:B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption.
Comment:Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)