The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Funny Pregame

I had another official share this humorous story with me yesterday. He was working a small school, varsity girls' game. He was with less experienced officials. He told the one to be the R (so he could have some practice), mid you that this ref only gets maybe 3-5 varsity games a year. This official starts his pre-game with going over that they need to watch for goaltending and basket interference. Now mind you the tallest girl playing is 5'5.
She must have one hell of a vertical
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I know an official who will often "remind" middle school girls that hanging on the rim is a technical unless they are concerned about safety.

Can help break the tension after the whole "unsportsmanlike behavior will get you ejected" speech.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
One guy I know reminds players to keep their shirts tucked because they might end up on TV that night and they should look their best.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to be a comedian go to an open mike night, pre-game is not the place. Tell them what you have to, keep it short and get out of there. Most likely they won't remember what you said anyways.
If the only way you can get someone to listen to your jokes is in a captive audience then you need new jokes.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So you're going to tell people they can't use some basic jokes during pregame captain and coach meetings?

To each his (or her) own. I've made jokes a few times (used the hanging on the rim thing in a jv girls game) to good effect. I have a very short captains meeting, but sometimes will drop a joke in to keep it light.

Maybe you can tell me what's wrong with that?

Oh, and I'm confident enough in my sense of humor that I don't need a captive audience. Frankly, trying out new material on 14 year old girls isn't the easiest of tasks.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
If you want to be a comedian go to an open mike night, pre-game is not the place. Tell them what you have to, keep it short and get out of there. Most likely they won't remember what you said anyways.
If the only way you can get someone to listen to your jokes is in a captive audience then you need new jokes.
You are right. I should tell that 25 year official who is one of the most respected officials in the state by players, coaches and other officials to knock it off.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I've let the players and coaches do the pregame before during the last week of the season. Seems to get them in a better mood when everyone is really tired mentally at that point.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Who are you telling the jokes for? Them? They don't care. They would rather be warming up or talking to their teammates. Or do you beleive that a teenager would prefer to be listening to jokes from a 35-55 year old man/woman? And if you are not telling the jokes for the players, who are you telling them for?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Who are you telling the jokes for? Them? They don't care. They would rather be warming up or talking to their teammates. Or do you beleive that a teenager would prefer to be listening to jokes from a 35-55 year old man/woman? And if you are not telling the jokes for the players, who are you telling them for?
Sometimes my partner laughs too
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph2493
Sometimes my partner laughs too
You can tell your jokes without the players present.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just not sure there's a right answer here - and not sure it really matters. I can remember way back when to my playing days who some of my favorite officials were. At least one of them always had something funny to say during the pre-game and/or on the court. It was a way he humanized himself to players, and because of that he could always ask the players to take care of potential problems on the court before they got out of hand.

I've seen everything from an extremely relaxed and joking pre-game, to the 10 second run 'em in and out pre-game. Both work.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
You can tell your jokes without the players present.
But what if the players want to hear, than I am taking something away from the kids.

I'm sure Snagwell's jokes are legend and the players are begging the coaches to be Captain that day so they can hear them being told.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph2493
But what if the players want to hear, than I am taking something away from the kids.

I'm sure Snagwell's jokes are legend and the players are begging the coaches to be Captain that day so they can hear them being told.
I was talking about everyone but Snagwell. I'm sure he's a legend.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I'm just not sure there's a right answer here - and not sure it really matters. I can remember way back when to my playing days who some of my favorite officials were. At least one of them always had something funny to say during the pre-game and/or on the court. It was a way he humanized himself to players, and because of that he could always ask the players to take care of potential problems on the court before they got out of hand.

I've seen everything from an extremely relaxed and joking pre-game, to the 10 second run 'em in and out pre-game. Both work.
What a voice of reason?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It use to drive me up the wall when my partners would act like Bob Hope, Milton Berle wanna be's. All we needed was the drummer from the band to complete the really bad joke. Now I just sit back and watch the glazed eyes come over the players, the awkward silence, and my partner laughing at his own jokes.

Priceless

I would love to get it down to 10 seconds. But alas I seem to be stuck at around 20 seconds.