The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

6 men on the court

If a team has 6 men on the court and they score a basket, does the basket count? I don't have my rule book, but I think this a corrrectable error (incorrectly awarding points)?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
If a team has 6 men on the court and they score a basket, does the basket count? I don't have my rule book, but I think this a corrrectable error (incorrectly awarding points)?
The ball becomes dead when an official recognizes and penalizes the infraction. All points scored until then stand. This is not a correctable error.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It's not correctable. A live ball (which was not a throw-in) passed through the basket from above, therefore the points will stand.

You assess the technical foul and move on. (Expect a phone call from your assignor later. . .)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Agree, not correctable. T and put the ball back into play.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
Agree, not correctable. T and put the ball back into play.
Making sure to count the players this time
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Team A is losing the game and wishes to employ the strategy of scoring quickly while causing the clock to stop when B has the ball.

Instead of yelling fire and "going for the ball", which always takes time off the clock, and often much more than A would like, they do this:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now A is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.
The only way it's guaranteed is if the officials fail to notice that the 6th player entered.

I'd also argue that in addition to a technical foul for 6 players on the court, if you know the coach emloyed this strategy intentionally, a direct flagrant technical foul on the coach may be in order.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team A is losing the game and wishes to employ the strategy of scoring quickly while causing the clock to stop when B has the ball.

Instead of yelling fire and "going for the ball", which always takes time off the clock, and often much more than A would like, they do this:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now B is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that B will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.
It makes more sense this way.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now A is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.
...and that sort of tactic is where a "travesty" ruling stats becoming a possibility.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
During your pregame, you should practice counting more than 10 players on the court without having to take your shoes off.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
During your pregame, you should practice counting more than 10 players on the court without having to take your shoes off.
I can get to 11 without removing my shoes, but it creates a bit of a stir
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I can get to 11 without removing my shoes, but it creates a bit of a stir
Meeting Padgett on his own terms?? get a chat room...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
T is charged to whom? directly/indirectly to head coach or directly to the 6th player?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
...and that sort of tactic is where a "travesty" ruling stats becoming a possibility.
Yeah at a minimum it is buh-bye to the HC at this point b/c you aren't convincing me that it wasn't an intentional act based on JR's description...if that is worth the possibility of A making both FT's anyways and it being a wash then try it...it will only happen once, b/c the next time you are right we are in "travesty" territory....
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
T is charged to whom? directly/indirectly to head coach or directly to the 6th player?
Rule 10-1 Art 6