The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   6 men on the court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40253-6-men-court.html)

psujaye Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:20am

6 men on the court

If a team has 6 men on the court and they score a basket, does the basket count? I don't have my rule book, but I think this a corrrectable error (incorrectly awarding points)?

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by psujaye
If a team has 6 men on the court and they score a basket, does the basket count? I don't have my rule book, but I think this a corrrectable error (incorrectly awarding points)?

The ball becomes dead when an official recognizes and penalizes the infraction. All points scored until then stand. This is not a correctable error.

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:23am

Quote:

It's not correctable. A live ball (which was not a throw-in) passed through the basket from above, therefore the points will stand.

You assess the technical foul and move on. (Expect a phone call from your assignor later. . .)

Scooby Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:41am

Agree, not correctable. T and put the ball back into play.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
Agree, not correctable. T and put the ball back into play.

Making sure to count the players this time ;)

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48am

Quote:

Team A is losing the game and wishes to employ the strategy of scoring quickly while causing the clock to stop when B has the ball.

Instead of yelling fire and "going for the ball", which always takes time off the clock, and often much more than A would like, they do this:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now A is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.

jdw3018 Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.

The only way it's guaranteed is if the officials fail to notice that the 6th player entered.

I'd also argue that in addition to a technical foul for 6 players on the court, if you know the coach emloyed this strategy intentionally, a direct flagrant technical foul on the coach may be in order.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57am

Quote:

Team A is losing the game and wishes to employ the strategy of scoring quickly while causing the clock to stop when B has the ball.

Instead of yelling fire and "going for the ball", which always takes time off the clock, and often much more than A would like, they do this:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now B is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that B will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.

It makes more sense this way. ;)

Camron Rust Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:25am

Quote:

So... B has the ball in their FC and an extra A player sneaks on the court. Team A gets the defensive rebound and a quick outlet pass followed by a pass to the cherry picker 6th player for an easy two (perhaps 3). After the basket, the officials notice that A has 6 on the court. A T is issued. Now A is going to get the ball again no matter what, so a division-line throw-in for B is not a loss of possession to A. If B is really bad at free throws, then it may be worthwhile for A to "purposely" have 6 on the court as a trade for a guaranteed 2 points against the bet that A will miss their foul shots, with the benefit of the clock stopping quicker.

...and that sort of tactic is where a "travesty" ruling stats becoming a possibility.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 11, 2007 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

During your pregame, you should practice counting more than 10 players on the court without having to take your shoes off. ;)

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 11, 2007 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
During your pregame, you should practice counting more than 10 players on the court without having to take your shoes off. ;)

I can get to 11 without removing my shoes, but it creates a bit of a stir :cool:

rainmaker Tue Dec 11, 2007 03:22pm

Quote:

I can get to 11 without removing my shoes, but it creates a bit of a stir :cool:

Meeting Padgett on his own terms??:eek: get a chat room...

psujaye Thu Jan 03, 2008 03:38pm

Quote:

T is charged to whom? directly/indirectly to head coach or directly to the 6th player?

kbilla Thu Jan 03, 2008 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
...and that sort of tactic is where a "travesty" ruling stats becoming a possibility.

Yeah at a minimum it is buh-bye to the HC at this point b/c you aren't convincing me that it wasn't an intentional act based on JR's description...if that is worth the possibility of A making both FT's anyways and it being a wash then try it...it will only happen once, b/c the next time you are right we are in "travesty" territory....

Indianaref Thu Jan 03, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

T is charged to whom? directly/indirectly to head coach or directly to the 6th player?

Rule 10-1 Art 6