The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

This may be a technical foul by rule, but it is OUR fault for starting the game with 6. We really shouldn't put the ball in play until there are 10 players on the court. I think this is part of our game management.

In the NCAA, the penalty is an indirect techncial foul charged to the player that offended (assuming we know who reported illegally or entered without reporting).
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
This may be a technical foul by rule, but it is OUR fault for starting the game with 6. We really shouldn't put the ball in play until there are 10 players on the court. I think this is part of our game management.
I disagree. It is ultimately the coach's fault for sending greater than 5 players onto the court. We can use preventative officiating, but it's not our fault if we do not prevent this situation.

Secondly, I would recommend that there are 5 players on each team on the court, and not 10 in total as you suggest. What if A somehow had 6 players and B had 4? If the official has a brain fart, and doesn't notice this oddity, he will conclude that we may proceed as there are 10 players on the court.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I disagree. It is ultimately the coach's fault for sending greater than 5 players onto the court. We can use preventative officiating, but it's not our fault if we do not prevent this situation.

Secondly, I would recommend that there are 5 players on each team on the court, and not 10 in total as you suggest. What if A somehow had 6 players and B had 4? If the official has a brain fart, and doesn't notice this oddity, he will conclude that we may proceed as there are 10 players on the court.
I disagree with your disagreement. First of all, the coach is never going to send six players onto the court. It'll be some player who didn't come off when he was supposed to, or some kid that went back on after a TO when he wasn't supposed to. So yeah, it's a team screw-up when it happens. But...

This is 100% preventable every time if we do our job properly. And I say that even after I let it happen once this year (for the first time in about 5 years).

As for there being 6 and 4...it ain't never gonna happen, and it ain't worth worrying about. Count to 10 by 2's and get on with it.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Curious, if you count 6 on a team before inbounding ball, do you tell the coach he has too many, or do you just blow the whistle as soon as the ball is inbounded? Isn't it the coach's responibility to know how many players he has on the floor?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
T is charged to whom? directly/indirectly to head coach or directly to the 6th player?
Under NFHS rules this is a team technical foul. No individual is charged directly or indirectly with the foul. It does add to the team foul count.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 07:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I disagree with your disagreement. First of all, the coach is never going to send six players onto the court. It'll be some player who didn't come off when he was supposed to, or some kid that went back on after a TO when he wasn't supposed to. So yeah, it's a team screw-up when it happens. But...

This is 100% preventable every time if we do our job properly. And I say that even after I let it happen once this year (for the first time in about 5 years).

As for there being 6 and 4...it ain't never gonna happen, and it ain't worth worrying about. Count to 10 by 2's and get on with it.
I try to never say never and never say always. A distraction could cause a coach to forget his next line-up. We're all human and every one of us is capable of causing an error.

I'm used to football where I count 12 on each team, not 24 in total. I use to count 10, now I count 5+5. It takes no more time. To each their own.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I try to never say never and never say always. A distraction could cause a coach to forget his next line-up. We're all human and every one of us is capable of causing an error.

I'm used to football where I count 12 on each team, not 24 in total. I use to count 10, now I count 5+5. It takes no more time. To each their own.
That's got to be Canadian, right?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsteele95
Curious, if you count 6 on a team before inbounding ball, do you tell the coach he has too many, or do you just blow the whistle as soon as the ball is inbounded? Isn't it the coach's responibility to know how many players he has on the floor?
I just say "somebody didn't leave...." and usually the other two guys I'm working with recognize it before I do.

If I'm the guy brining in the subs I tell my self "i got 2 on from white - and 2 on from blue"......"and theres my 2 off for white, ad 2 off for blue" then i drop my hand and let my co's know we're ready.

of course we pregrame the "ready" part. In my Wednesday game we agreed we wouldn't drop the hand until we were really ready
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
If I'm the guy brining in the subs I tell my self "i got 2 on from white - and 2 on from blue", "and theres my 2 off for white, and 2 off for blue" then I drop my hand and let my co's know we're ready, we agreed we wouldn't drop the hand until we were really ready
Great advice !!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
If I'm the guy brining in the subs
Are you reffing lobsters??
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Are you reffing lobsters??
He's just trying to claw his way to the top.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
He's just trying to claw his way to the top.
You should be boiled for that one.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You should be boiled for that one.
Old Bay Boil!! Yum!
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Old Bay Boil!! Yum!
No, it would be an old M&M boil.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So would you start the game after a timeout if black had 6 players on the floor? I would hope that common sense would prevail. Allowing 6 players on the court is a lack of concentration by the crew.... Something we don't have to deal with if we are doing our job.