The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Philosophy update...

I received the following in an email from an association that I have done some games for in the past. I don't do BB anymore, but still accept occasional games in other sports from this association:

Reminder when working with a partner in Basketball, we as an association do NOT use the "area" philosophy of officiating. Please work together in covering the Entire Court. Thank you.

I'm wondering how, exactly, should the entire court be covered without using the "area" philosophy??????
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

When you say "area" are you or is the association referring to an official's Primary Coverage Area (PCA)?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's a new PCA were whichever side of the court you are on . You have from the DIVISION TO THE ENDLINE on your side of the court. It is being implemented by most state level official(s) and veterans with 10 or more years of officiating.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 03:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I received the following in an email from an association that I have done some games for in the past. I don't do BB anymore, but still accept occasional games in other sports from this association:

Reminder when working with a partner in Basketball, we as an association do NOT use the "area" philosophy of officiating. Please work together in covering the Entire Court. Thank you.

I'm wondering how, exactly, should the entire court be covered without using the "area" philosophy??????
In my pre-games we talk about staying in your primary for on-ball calls, but off-ball calls are fair game anywhere on the court. IOW, help out with screens, rebounding action, etc. as one official may be busy with the ball-handler/defender match-up. Extend out of your primary to get those things...especially if they are the "non-basketball play" types of things. Never use the excuse "Well, I saw that punch but it wasn't in my primary so I didn't call it." I think that's probably what the message is gettting at.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 07:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pca

From my pregame conference notes:

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
Respect each other's area. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. It must be obvious
to come out of your primary. We’re not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right.
Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play
where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.