The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
A frequently ignored fact about sports officiating is that what the official does during a game is only part of the responsibility and effort. Even though it is the most visible part, it is far from being all that is needed. The time commitment, training, meetings, clinics, uniforms, equipment, study, tests, planning, communication, and travel are substantial in themselves and are essential to good officiating.

Two kinds of situations are constant reminders of how this is ignored:

One is the view and complaint of non-officials that we only care about the money and are always trying to shorten the game, even when we suspend a game for the players' safety or use speed-up rules at the leagues' direction.

Another is the practice by schools and others to refuse to pay the fee for a game when it was their mistake that led to officials being present but no game, or the officials appearing at the wrong time or place. If someone cancels a game or moves it to another site without telling the officials, the officials usually appear, spend time trying to find out what happened, travel extra distance, etc.

Our preparations and arrival fulfill the agreed to responsibility to be at a site ready to officiate at the specified time; so the game management must compensate the officials.

It's the principal and the recognition of what really goes into officiating that matters, as we all can survive without a few fees. Year after year, officials are disrespectfully cheated out of fair compensation for fulfilling these implied contracts; which in turn reduces their incentive to officiate well.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Under our contracts with all schools we work, it is clearly stated that if a scheduled gamed is cancelled or moved without giving the association and the officials involved at least 24 hours notice, then the school will have to compensate the officials at the rate of one game fee each. It has happened, and we do get paid when it does!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Two years ago, I showed up for a game and the only person at the field was the AD of the school, with a voucher for me to sign and the following apology: "We forgot to inform [the head of our association] that we didn't have a team this year."

Seems as if I got $44 for doing nothing, but I still had to pack my stuff, get out of work, get changed, and travel down to Trenton.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2003, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

First off,I agree umps should be paid . LL in my area does not pay. Here is what the LL rule book says about umpires. "The volunteer umpire is as much a part of LL as the volunteer manager ,coach or concession stand worker. There is no sound reason for paying umpires ,or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis." Brian
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 01:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Ask the umpire in chief of Little League Baseball whether he accepts money for doing his job.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
Here is what the LL rule book says about umpires. "The volunteer umpire is as much a part of LL as the volunteer manager ,coach or concession stand worker. There is no sound reason for paying umpires ,or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis." Brian
This must be why LL is at the forefront of youth softball.

I can understand their "volunteer" attitude, but to state there is no "sound reason" for paying umpires is quite naive. There are many good umpires who work LL for nothing and I wish them the best. However, I don't understand how an international organization can be so cavalier in their beliefs. You would think they were the Catholic church or something d:-) (that's a joke, and yes, baptized and raised RC)

Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First off,I agree umps should be paid . LL in my area does not pay. Here is what the LL rule book says about umpires. "The volunteer umpire is as much a part of LL as the volunteer manager ,coach or concession stand worker. There is no sound reason for paying umpires ,or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis." Brian
I am a firm believer in volunteerism and have called alot of games over the past 8 years as a local volunteer. I do this by choice, as a contribution to our local youth program. I am not the only experienced umpire that will do this, yet again it is our choice. We do pay umpires for most of our regular league play.
It is interesting to me that LL sees umpires as strictly volunteers, even at the world series level. Amazing that LL can purchase uniforms, caps and matching batting helments for players yet the umpires pay their own way and work without pay in the biggest tournament of the year. I think LL BB/SB needs to realize that this is 2003 (for another month) and consider catching up with the times.
Revenues are reaped by LL when ESPN broadcasts the pool games, bracket and then final games. Where does all this money go?

Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"The volunteer umpire is as much a part of LL as the volunteer manager ,coach or concession stand worker. There is no sound reason for paying umpires ,or any other person whose services should be provided on a volunteer basis."
I have nothing against umpires who choose to volunteer to support the local program; they are to be commended for their community spirit. I do a number of Jr Hi games each year for the same reason (we don't have LL softball here, and Jr Hi pay is less than 1/2 of ASA games for absolutely miserable quality of teams most of the time). But I digress...

This statement from the LL rule book is just about the most sanctimonious, hypocritical, self-serving, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, moralistic, insincere, oily, and two-faced bit of drivel I've read in a long time. (Well, at least since the last report on a political speech, anyway!)

Does LL donate the LLWS to ESPN on a "volunteer" bases, Williamsport? Or does "volunteerism" only apply to the unwashed peasantry?

The entire LL program is a vast money machine. "services should be provided on a volunteer basis" my foot.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The fallacy here is that these others don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on uniforms, equipment and clinics/classes. That's a very sound reason to me.

Bob
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

To some extent-- you get what you pay for !
When I moved to SW FL from CNY, I was surprised a bit at
the low fees for HS softball umpires. I still wanted
to umpire, so I continued. The only really unfair situation I
ran into was driving for 85 miles to a game site in
pouring rain, only to find the game cancelled (the school
was called and they said they were still playing).
I did not get paid for my time, something I hope will
be addressed.