The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast

3) I can understand taking time to call a jump so as to allow players to try and play through, but we have to be careful. Although many say take away the stronger players' advantage, this may put the weaker player at a disadvantage.
For me, if both players ahve possession for more than 1-2 seconds and its a held ball.
I talked about the jump ball last night with a fan and he complained that he thought the officials (high school varsity) in our area called it too quick. I told him my philosophy was if they are on their feet give them a little time to play through it and if they are on the floor get it quick. Anyone else use this?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 11:57am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Quote:
Plus, the arms must recoil from the impact or it is a block.
Slider, what does this even mean? I don't understand what you're trying to say. And if I think about it and guess what you mean, then I think you're totally wrong about it.

Why would "recoiling arms" be necessary to draw a charge? Can you explain this a little better?

Chuck
I think Slider went to the definitions for that one,Chuck.I remembered something in there,so I just looked it up.See R4-24-3.This talks about a screen mainly,but I think that is what Slider was referring to.Could be wrong,though.Certainly wouldn't be the first time this week.Maybe he'll enlighten us later.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
R4-24-3

Ah, thanks JR. I see now why he chose those words. He just worded it badly. It's not that "the arms MUST recoil or it's a block". It's "if the defender is moving to cushion the contact, his movement must be 'recoiling' from the offensive player; not toward the offensive player". Thanks.

Chuck