View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Well, not really, more on that in a minute. First, a couple tech questions on dribbling. Seen a lot of "carry" calls for what appears to just be a very high dribble. Mostly with younger kids, they simply bounce it to high, over their heads sometimes. I don't see a problem with this, thoughts? Also seen a lot of traveling calls on players who take a lot of steps between dribbles, Three, four, +... Feet are just plain faster than the hands. I was taught long time ago, two steps for every dribble, but reading the NF rules, this doesn't seem to be a problem either, thoughts. Now a question on jump ball calls. It seems that the refs in my league wait a very long time to make this call. Player A1 grabs rebound. Player B1 grabs ball with no contact. They struggle. Stongest wins, play on, else blow whistle. This can get very violent. I've seen smaller kids get thrown to the floor trying to hang on to the rock. My youngest tore a shoulder muscle this WE on this kind of play when a much taller player grabbed the ball from behind and pulled the ball and my son's arms back over his head. Is there some guideline you guys follow before making this call?
Ok, why do I hate this board, because it makes me get into trouble! It also makes me a better coach. Sort of a love /hate thing I guess. This WE we played an 8th/7th grade rec game. First minute, a textbook charge by the opponents point into my top player. Had legal position, facing dribbler, hands up and in the "box". I know time and distance shouldn't matter, but he was standing there for at least a second and a good four feet away. He didn't even move. Point sees the "D", hesitates, continues dribble and drops shoulder right into the chest of my player, trying to draw a foul. TWEET...
Me: "That's gotta be offensive...?"
Ref: "Blocking foul..."
Me: "Are you kidding he dropped shoulder and plowed right into him"
Ref: "Are you going to do this for all the calls in this game?"
Me: " No, just this one!"
Ref: " Do you want some of this?" pointing to his whistle
Me: "No!, (mumble, grumble)" As I sit back down.
Last minute thirty, we're up by 10, have the guys play possesion, no shot clock in this league. Thirty left, up by 7 now. Ball gets loose, they get it, we get, we all scramble for it. My point makes a great hustle play and dives for the loose rock, gets possesion, and slides a couple feet. Before I can call the TO, TWEET...
Ref: " Traveling Violation..."
Me: " Are you kidding? since when is sliding a traveling violation?"
Both refs, the other coaches and several parents have a good chuckle!
Ref: "Read the rules!"
Me: (mumble, grumble) sit back down.
Howled a little but didn't get whacked!
I know I'm right on both of these. I also spoke with another ref I've worked as a scorekeeper with, and have respect for.
I also had a better angle on the charge call, due to poor mechanics, IMHO.
So the point is, many thanks for welcoming coaches onto this board, and maintaining such a high level of interchange. It's a great resource! (Even if it does get me into trouble!!)
EG