The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Calling on Jurassic (and other wise officials)

Took the test last night online. Made a 96 (it was an open book test). One of the four questions I missed, I see where I messed up. Three of the questions I cannot find anywhere in the rule book or case book. I'm sure they are there, but I can't find them.

1) Without me giving the question, can JR or anyone else tell me rules or case reference concerning resumption of play procedure starting over in each situation?

2) Penalty for Team B if not occupying first marked spaces by the time of A1's second free throw?

3) Does "not occupying assigned bench" as on page 72 (under "Administrative") of the rule book (Technical Foul Penalty Summary) mean the same as team members standing in front of the bench.

If my questions are too vague I will post the actual questions from the test, if Jurassic says it is OK. I don't want to be accused of giving the questions to those who have not taken it. Tell me what you think. And thanks for your help.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Wow, just taking the test, when does your season start?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Here in NC, we don't take the test until after the season starts. Why? I'm not sure. Usually it is the first Monday in December, but this year we went to an online test and we could take it anytime this week. My first game was actually Nov. 27.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Interesting, I was told that VA was going to on line testing next year. How was the experience?
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:06am
I got a Basketball Jones!

VHSL on-linr testing procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Interesting, I was told that VA was going to on line testing next year. How was the experience?
http://vhsl.org/Officials/Online-Testing.pdf
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord
1) Without me giving the question, can JR or anyone else tell me rules or case reference concerning resumption of play procedure starting over in each situation?

2) Penalty for Team B if not occupying first marked spaces by the time of A1's second free throw?

3) Does "not occupying assigned bench" as on page 72 (under "Administrative") of the rule book (Technical Foul Penalty Summary) mean the same as team members standing in front of the bench.

If my questions are too vague I will post the actual questions from the test, if Jurassic says it is OK.
The general procedure after a timeout or intermission is outlined in rules 4-38, 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. Also see case book plays 7.5.1SitA. Rule 10-1-5(b) is the penalty for ignoring the ROP procedure.

2) If it's after a charged TO, see casebook play 10.1.5SitA. In normal situations, see casebook play 10.1.5SitC.

3) it means that team members are habitually outside of the bench area, as specified in rule 1-13-3, when they're not supposed to be... i.e. TO's, etc. Penalty is covered under rule 10-1-4PENALTY--team technical foul. Handle with extreme care.

Please feel free to post the exact question, including the #. I don't think that anyone posting on this forum, including myself, has ever had a problem with that. It's the posting of complete exams and their answers that tends to piss people off(not just myself either).

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 06:25am.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
It was OK. Fortunately, there was no time limit. If there had been -
I was able to take my time and double and triple check my answers. They had some glitches though. Earlier this week, the site crashed, so it made it difficult to get the test in before the deadline. All in all, I liked it better than the old "sit down for an hour and take this test".
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Please feel free to post the exact question, including the #. I don't think that anyone posting on this forum, including myself, has ever had a problem with that. It's the posting of complete exams and their answers that tends to piss people of(not just myself).
Jurassic, I kind of view you as the Sheriff (or is it Warden) around here. I figure that if Jurassic says it's not OK, then it probably is really NOT OK.

Thanks!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Here is the exact wording of the four questions I missed.

1) The resumption-of-play procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another. I answered FALSE. WRONG. I was thinking of Delay Warnings, I guess.

2) If during the resumption-of-play procedure, Team B is not occupying the first marked land spaces on each side, but A1's first throw is successful, Team B is charged with a technical foul if the spaces are not occupied for the second attempt. I answered TRUE. WRONG. I really thought I saw this in the book, but now I can't find it anywhere.

3) If a team member is charged with a technical foul for not remaining seated on the team bench, the foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. I answered FALSE. WRONG. I got confused by the chart on page 72 in the rule book - "not occupying the team bench".

4) When the ball is bounced to the free thrower, it is at his or her disposal when released by the official. I answered TRUE. WRONG. I see where I messed this one up.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Jurassic, I kind of view you as the Sheriff (or is it Warden) around here. I figure that if Jurassic says it's not OK, then it probably is really NOT OK.

Thanks!
That's your first mistake.

Anything I hand out other than rules citations are just opinions. And you know what they're worth.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The general procedure after a timeout or intermission is outlined in rules 4-38, 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. Also see case book plays 7.5.1SitA. Rule 10-1-5(b) is the penalty for ignoring the ROP procedure.

2) If it's after a charged TO, see casebook play 10.1.5SitA. In normal situations, see casebook play 10.1.5SitC.

3) it means that team members are habitually outside of the bench area, as specified in rule 1-13-3, when they're not supposed to be... i.e. TO's, etc. Penalty is covered under rule 10-1-4PENALTY--team technical foul. Handle with extreme care.

Please feel free to post the exact question, including the #. I don't think that anyone posting on this forum, including myself, has ever had a problem with that. It's the posting of complete exams and their answers that tends to piss people of(not just myself).

JR..............you always have the right rule # or casebook reference at your fingertips. Is the the product of looking it up or do you have a system for researching these questions. I suspect you do it the old fashioned way and dive into the manuals. The old saying 'he who chops wood stays warm twice', meaning by you looking these cases up, it keeps you spot on regarding rulings.

Not only do you know the letter of the law, but apply common sense to your game philosophy.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Here is the exact wording of the four questions I missed.

1) The resumption-of-play procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another. I answered FALSE. WRONG. I was thinking of Delay Warnings, I guess.

2) If during the resumption-of-play procedure, Team B is not occupying the first marked land spaces on each side, but A1's first throw is successful, Team B is charged with a technical foul if the spaces are not occupied for the second attempt. I answered TRUE. WRONG. I really thought I saw this in the book, but now I can't find it anywhere.

3) If a team member is charged with a technical foul for not remaining seated on the team bench, the foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. I answered FALSE. WRONG. I got confused by the chart on page 72 in the rule book - "not occupying the team bench".

4) When the ball is bounced to the free thrower, it is at his or her disposal when released by the official. I answered TRUE. WRONG. I see where I messed this one up.
1) Question #34-- rules 7-5-1 & 8-5-2.

2) Question #36-- rule 8-1-2

3) Question #55- 10-4-4PENALTY

4) Question #31- rule 4-4-7(b)

All from the Answer Key. Iow, don't give me any credit for wisdom when I have the answer key.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I suspect you do it the old fashioned way and dive into the manuals.
You have to work at keeping current. And if you're assigning, evaluating and answering complaints, you had damn-well better stay current.

This forum is a great help to me personally. It has a whole bunch of very competent, knowledgeable and informed officials that are willing to share their knowledge with all of us. I'm constantly learning from the people that post here.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a question about this one - 8-1-2 reads that following a violation by one or both teams, if the offending team(s) continues to delay, a technical foul shall be called.

Does this mean that because the throw was successful, no violation was called, and therefore no technical for the second delay? If the throw was unsuccessful, would the technical then be called?

I think that's what I'm reading, but not sure if a delayed lane violation is considered a violation for purposes of this rule even if not called?

Last edited by jdw3018; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 11:46am.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
JR..............you always have the right rule # or casebook reference at your fingertips. Is the the product of looking it up or do you have a system for researching these questions. I suspect you do it the old fashioned way and dive into the manuals. The old saying 'he who chops wood stays warm twice', meaning by you looking these cases up, it keeps you spot on regarding rulings.

Not only do you know the letter of the law, but apply common sense to your game philosophy.
Please don't encourage him.

btw JR, sorry to hear about your cousin.