The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

When does the arrow change?

9.2.8 SITUATION: Team A is awarded an alternation-possession throw-in. A1lobs the throw-in pass toward A2 who is breaking for the basket. The throw-in pass is too high and lodges between the ring and backboard. RULING: Volation by A1 for lodging the untouched throw-in pass. Team B's ball at the throw-in spot. Since A1 violated during an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A has lost the arrow. Team B will have the arrow for the next alternating-possession throw-in. (6-4-5)

So the question is: When do we change the arrow?

1. As soon as the violation occures.
2. When team B thrower-in is handed the ball.
3. When the ball is legally touched in-bounds.

In most of my games the timer is also keeping the arrow and I want to make sure I can expain it to the table if I get an alternating throw-in violation.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 03:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The official should whistle the play dead and voice a throw-in violation. S/he can change the arrow at this point. Then award a throw-in to Team B.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
9.2.8 SITUATION: Team A is awarded an alternation-possession throw-in. A1lobs the throw-in pass toward A2 who is breaking for the basket. The throw-in pass is too high and lodges between the ring and backboard. RULING: Volation by A1 for lodging the untouched throw-in pass. Team B's ball at the throw-in spot. Since A1 violated during an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A has lost the arrow. Team B will have the arrow for the next alternating-possession throw-in. (6-4-5)

1) As soon as the violation occurs.
Both answers 1&3 are correct. Rules 6-4-4&5.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
The official should whistle the play dead and voice a throw-in violation. S/he can change the arrow at this point. Then award a throw-in to Team B.
I suspect I would have to watch that the arrow was not reversed again when the ball was legally touched in-bounds as is normally the case for a alternating-possession throw-in
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Per JR - Both answers 1&3 are correct. Rules 6-4-4&5.

JR, are you saying the arrow is changed twice? Once on the violation and again when the ball is leagally touched in-bounds?

My thought was that when A1 violated and Team B had the ball for a throw-in, it was not considered an alternating possession throw-in.

I'm confused - Please help me fill in the blanks.

Last edited by ranjo; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 04:42pm.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. As soon as the violation occures.
2. When team B thrower-in is handed the ball.

In most of my games the timer is also keeping the arrow and I want to make sure I can expain it to the table if I get an alternating throw-in violation.
The arrow is changed when the throw-in is legally completed or there is a violation. In this situation team B is awarded the arrow and the throw-in is for the violation, not an alternating possession throw-in.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Both answers 1&3 are correct. Rules 6-4-4&5.

So are you saying the arrow is changed twice? Once on the violation and again when the ball is leagally touched in-bounds?

My thought was that when A1 violated and Team B had the ball for a throw-in, it was not considered an alternating possession throw-in.

Team B will have a throw in for Team A's violation (lodging the ball). Arrow is then switched to team B. Next time there is an AP situation, team B will have it.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Per JR - Both answers 1&3 are correct. Rules 6-4-4&5.

JR, are you saying the arrow is changed twice? Once on the violation and again when the ball is leagally touched in-bounds?

No. He's saying the arrow is switched when either of these occur. In your play, that's number 1.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Team B gets the arrow because the throw-in ended when Team A violated. Team B also get's the ball for throw-in because of the violation not because of AP so Team B also retains the arrow after the throw-in.

Last edited by armymanjones; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 06:03pm.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Team B will have a throw in for Team A's violation (lodging the ball). Arrow is then switched to team B. Next time there is an AP situation, team B will have it.

Its starting to make sense now. If everyone agrees with this, we can close out the thread.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Its starting to make sense now. If everyone agrees with this, we can close out the thread.
I'm not everyone, but I agree with everybody that responded to your question.