The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

IN HS, if you blow the whistle, they get the timeout and you tell the other coach "Oops. My bad."

In NCAA, you blow the whistle, say "Oops, my bad." and they do not get the timeout. I know this because I got reamed by a supervisor several years ago for doing it wrong.Don't have my books with me (they're out in the car and it's raining again) so I can't tell you the rule reference, but believe me, I will always remember that one!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I had the opposite problem last night. Coach in my ear yelling "time out" near the end of the game. I had tuned him out, since he'd been yelling out plays to his players all game. My partner called the TO from across the floor. Coach was not very happy: "didn't you hear me calling for timeout?"

"Uh... [silence] ... sorry coach."
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Clearly, my work is not done here.
Are you getting all techincal on him Mark...call/request
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
I had the opposite problem last night. Coach in my ear yelling "time out" near the end of the game. I had tuned him out, since he'd been yelling out plays to his players all game. My partner called the TO from across the floor. Coach was not very happy: "didn't you hear me calling for timeout?"

"Uh... [silence] ... sorry coach."
Many times it's easier for an official away from the coach to see him asking for TO than it is to process everything when he's behind you. If you hear a coach, you must look away from the action to determine that he's actually the one requesting, then look back to determine that his team still has control, then grant the TO. That's a lot.

In your situation no need to say anything in response to the coach's question other than, "No."
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Do you think the NFHS will alter this rule anytime soon that requires a player on the floor to be the one to request the TOs?

I absolutely hate when tableside and the coach is behind you calling for this and you have action to watch...
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Do you think the NFHS will alter this rule anytime soon that requires a player on the floor to be the one to request the TOs?
No. It's mostly coaches on the rules committee and they like the rule.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 04:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
IN HS, if you blow the whistle, they get the timeout and you tell the other coach "Oops. My bad."

In NCAA, you blow the whistle, say "Oops, my bad." and they do not get the timeout. I know this because I got reamed by a supervisor several years ago for doing it wrong.Don't have my books with me (they're out in the car and it's raining again) so I can't tell you the rule reference, but believe me, I will always remember that one!
I couldn't find this in the 2006 or 2008 NCAA rule book, but i do believe that in NCAA, you do not grant the timeout in this situation.

Unfortunately, I kicked this in the oppposite direction when I was asked to officiate a 6th grade boys game. We had no refs, so a parent and myself were asked to officiate. I'd given A1 the ball for a throw-in, and my partner is whistling a time out for B. I stopped play and told my partner he couldn't grant a timeout, and restarted play.

Although, at the next dead ball, I did ask Coach B if he still wanted a timeout. He didn't.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 12:33pm.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman game this weekend, coach yells play, "Side out." Official says, "Full or 30?"
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

HaHa that reminds me...

I had a VG Thanksgiving tourney last month. By the strangest of coincidences, b/c of my schedule and the brackets, I managed to have all 4 games one particular team played, plus 4 others during the tourney.

So, to the story. 1st game with said team. I'm C in first quarter, near the end. As I come up the court in front of team's bench, I hear coach behind me holler obsessively something that very much appear to be "TIME OUT"

I blow the whistle and turn slightly towards the bench. There wasn't any other obvious reason for the whistle, but coach is staring at me with an unspoken "What the h*ll was that?" So, seeing his obvious confussion, I ask "You called TO?" He says no he didn't. Only a few seconds of conversation led me to realize they had a set play named 'FIVE out'.

I giggle to myself, suggest changing the name of the play, and resume at POI. Their next couple of games, I catch myslef almost blowing the same whistle, until I manage to block it out. By the end of the tourney, he dang near had to throw something at me to get a TO.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 04:46pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs

I absolutely hate when tableside and the coach is behind you calling for this and you have action to watch...
This is one part of FIBA I do like. Only the Coach or Asst Coach can request a T.O. at the table. Then at the appropriate time the table sounds the horn to notify the officials the coach has made the request. Keeps the flow of the game moving along.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.