Thread: bad to worse
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I once had a game in which a time-out was granted and the coach said, "I didn't call for a time-out", and the official declared an inadvertent whistle. I've asked other officials and told this was ok in college, but (obviously) not in high school. Does anybody have a definitive citation for this situation?
Which rule for HS covers that? (EDIT: Never mind, I see the rule cited) Is the intent of the rule to make sure that if a player calls timeout it must be taken, regardless of whether the coach wanted it? I hope so. What about a situation like this:

About 5-6 years ago my Frosh team had the ball in the front-court (2nd half, so right in front of me). Action is ocurring, I'm standing in my box, closer to table than baseline, mouth shut and arms folded when the lead official blows his whistle and says "Timeout-red." While waiting in stunned silence to find out which of my players unnecessarily called a timeout, imagine my surprise to have the table be told that I called the timeout. When I explained that I had done no such thing, I was told that "someone around my bench" called for it. I pointed out that since I had no assistant coach and only 3 players on the bench and that none of them said it, I didn't want a timeout and would like to just restart the game. The official told me that since "I heard the timeout call from around your bench, you have to take it."

I decided there was no point in arguing. Aside from the obvious things that are wrong with how that was handled, I can't imagine that the rule is intended to force a timeout on a team in a situation like that.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Last edited by reddevil19; Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 12:21pm.