The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds/Inbounds Situation

A1 is throwing the ball in from a spot inbound. After about 4 seconds, A1 cannot find an open teammate and tries to throw the ball off of B1's leg. The pass hits B1's leg and bounces straight back towards A1 before A1 has a chance to move and is still standing in the throw-in spot out of bounds. What is the call?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
A1 is throwing the ball in from a spot inbound. After about 4 seconds, A1 cannot find an open teammate and tries to throw the ball off of B1's leg. The pass hits B1's leg and bounces straight back towards A1 before A1 has a chance to move and is still standing in the throw-in spot out of bounds. What is the call?
Violation on team A. There was no violation until the ball hit A1, therefore A1 "caused" the ball to go OOB. That's assuming the ball just hit B1 on the leg and he didn't kick it intentionally.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
B gets the ball...A1 gets to run suicides at next practice, I imagine.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Violation on team A. There was no violation until the ball hit A1, therefore A1 "caused" the ball to go OOB. That's assuming the ball just hit B1 on the leg and he didn't kick it intentionally.
hmmm...can't be an intentional act if the pass only hits B1's leg. That's how I read it anyway.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
A1 is throwing the ball in from a spot inbound.
Ok, ya lost me.....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Ok, ya lost me.....
Where's Peter Frampton when you need him?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Does this answer your question?

7.2.2 SITUATION: A throw-in by A1 (a) strikes B1 who is inbounds and rebounds in flight directly from B1 and then strikes A1 who is still out of bounds; (b) is batted by B1, who is inbounds and the ball is next touched by A1 who is still out of bounds. RULING: A1 caused the ball to go out of bounds and it is awarded to Team B at that spot for a throw-in for both (a) and (b).
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Does this answer your question?

7.2.2 SITUATION: A throw-in by A1 (a) strikes B1 who is inbounds and rebounds in flight directly from B1 and then strikes A1 who is still out of bounds; (b) is batted by B1, who is inbounds and the ball is next touched by A1 who is still out of bounds. RULING: A1 caused the ball to go out of bounds and it is awarded to Team B at that spot for a throw-in for both (a) and (b).
Thanks for the rules reference. One of the opposing coaches said something about the inbounder needing a chance to get back inbounds, and at the time it got me thinking. I wonder if thats an NBA rule or just one of those urban-myth type things like not being able to touch a saved ball after going out of bounds until someone else touches it first...
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Thanks for the rules reference. One of the opposing coaches said something about the inbounder needing a chance to get back inbounds, and at the time it got me thinking. I wonder if thats an NBA rule or just one of those urban-myth type things like not being able to touch a saved ball after going out of bounds until someone else touches it first...
I think it's one of those wishful thinking things... like... "darn it, they ought to give the guy a chance..."