The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 10, 2000, 09:47am
Suppref

Touching the official is the same as touching the floor where the official is standing. If the official is straddling and/or standing on the side/end line and the ball touches the officials foot that is in bounds and is recovered in bounds, do we have a no call or a violation.? I try to stay compltetely in or completely out of bounds. Any thoughts on this?
Old Thu Aug 10, 2000, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
First. Don't strattle the line. I hate moderates.:-) Ok in all serioiusness since part of the officials body is OOB when the official touches the ball, that makes the ball OOB. Blow it dead.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Tim is right on target. NFHS rule 4.35.1 states that "the location of a player or nonplayer is determined by where such . . . is touching the floor. . . and then in article 2 it states that when touching out of bounds, the person is located out of bounds.

When the ball touched the official (a nonplayer) who is touching out of bounds, then the ball is out of bounds.

On staying completely in or out of bounds, as lead you should stay beyond the endline when you get there until next transition takes place. As trail, you will often have to move a good bit to obtain and maintain proper angles. My top priority would not be whether I was "completely" in bounds or out of bounds; it would be to get in the best position and keep my eyes in my primary, something that may not allow me to look at my feet's position relative to the boundary lines.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 03:37pm
Suppref

Thumbs up

On staying completely in or out of bounds, as lead you should stay beyond the endline when you get there until next transition takes place. As trail, you will often have to move a good bit to obtain and maintain proper angles. My top priority would not be whether I was "completely" in bounds or out of bounds; it would be to get in the best position and keep my eyes in my primary, something that may not allow me to look at my feet's position relative to the boundary lines.[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't stare at my feet but having played for 20 years and officiating for 14 it is court awareness that tells me where I am. thanks for the imput. Have fun - -Suppref