The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Young coaches attitudes today.

As an experienced Varsity official, I still love the game at all levels, and very often work JV and middle school contests on days that I don't have a varsity assignment. I am amazed at the behavior of some of the "new" breed of middle school coaches coming into the game.

Case in point: last night only 2 minutes into the first quarter, the visiting coach, as the ball is being continuously shot and missed at his basket, leaps up off of the bench screaming "Give me a foul, give me a foul!!!!" Upon hearing this and then turning to see his animations on the side lines, I turned to the table, blew the whistle, and then as if calling any other foul, issued a technical foul to the head coach. He then responds with, "Why did I get a technical foul?" I said, very politely, "Coach, you said to give you a foul, and that is the only way that I know how." He in turn says, " I didn't want a foul on me, I wanted it on the other team." I explained to him that he should try his best at all times to refrain from officiating, and coach his team. He didn't like it, but was in good spirits the rest of the game, as he was glued to his seat due to losing his coaching box as a result of the T.

I have noticed this kind of behavior is becoming the norm at the MS level. We rarely have an issue in Varsity, but it seems to be a regular occurence at the JV and MS levels. I would assume that it is new coaches trying to see how far they can push, or the fact that they probably think that because you are working a lower level game, that maybe you are a newer official. I have been calling this game for 18 years, and pride myself in being fair to all coaches, and always trying to see their side of a situation before any technical fouls are assessed, but to me, I see this new breed of coaches getting out of hand. Any thoughts?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is how "new breed" coaches become varsity coach material...by messing up and having competent officials tag them for it. Congrats on helping that coach realize the error of his ways.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

They are (I was) ignorant. Your demanding proper behavior should reduce the ignorance, if he/they are willing to learn. I have found few venues which teach/encourage/demand proper behavior, so, right or wrong, coaches will do whatever you allow them to do.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches have been the same. I guess I am the weird one who rarely sees improper behavior, but as an experienced official it is relatively easy to counsel the lower-level coaches on seeing things from your point of view, and how they can ask questions/make points without alienating the officials. Your example is humorous; some coaches might not find the humor in it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

One of my mentors gave me this quote and I will use it.

"Coach, I cant shoot the baskets, you cant call the fouls."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Coaches have been the same. I guess I am the weird one who rarely sees improper behavior, but as an experienced official it is relatively easy to counsel the lower-level coaches on seeing things from your point of view, and how they can ask questions/make points without alienating the officials. Your example is humorous; some coaches might not find the humor in it.
I call Bull****! Utter, complete, and unrelenting bull****. I don't know where you dream this crap up, but a television show based on your officiating experience would very clearly not be listed under "Reality TV."

Hey guys! I think we found who pilferred Mark's meds.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I probably see as many MS coaches as anyone here, and I can tell you I think there has been a deterioration of professionalism and behavior over the past few years. Of course, this is a broad (Juulie - I don't mean it that way) generalization. There are still many who act professionally and don't cause problems, but not as many percentage-wise as in the past, in my opinion.

The only reason I can come up with for this is perhaps there is a higher level of success expected by upper level coaches for whom these MS programs act as feeders, and by parents, than in the past. As I'm sure we all agree, parents equate yelling and screaming coaches with effective coaches. Plus, they may also be trying to deflect blame for lack of success so the perception by "higher-ups" is that they aren't as bad as they really are, when being considered for promotion.

Or, maybe our society is just producing more jerks who want to coach. Yeah, that's it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

People skills, people skills, people skills. Some use the carrot, some use the stick. Both work.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
People skills, people skills, people skills. Some use the carrot, some use the stick. Both work.
Yep. And we all know what makes carrots grow nice and big.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Dang! I think I just broke my solemn vow to never reply to Old Stool.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Dang! I think I just broke my solemn vow to never reply to Old Stool.
Just qualify your vow with "knowingly." You're covered.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Yep. And we all know what makes carrots grow nice and big.
It's worth breaking your vow for. Funny!!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I also had an issue tonight with a first year mid school coach. He questioned my calls all night. Kept trying to creep out onto the court to question calls. When my partner called a backcourt violation, he ran onto the court screaming and jumping around. He made it all the way to half court. My partner was moving into position so he didn't see him. Needless to say I T'ed him up and told him to sit down, to which he replied, "You've got to be f'in kidding me." Simple enough...second technical and he was waiting in the bus.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
I also had an issue tonight with a first year mid school coach. He questioned my calls all night. Kept trying to creep out onto the court to question calls. When my partner called a backcourt violation, he ran onto the court screaming and jumping around. He made it all the way to half court. My partner was moving into position so he didn't see him. Needless to say I T'ed him up and told him to sit down, to which he replied, "You've got to be f'in kidding me." Simple enough...second technical and he was waiting in the bus.
Middle school?!?! Oh, dear, that's awful. I hope there are at least a couple of parents who refuse to put up with that kind of stuff.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 05:56am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
Good job.