The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Contact with FT shooter

Maybe I read a little too much into the rule this year, but every official I've called with, hasn't warned against the high fives to the free throw shooter during a 2 shot foul. It is a delay of game to contact the free throw shooter between foul shots. I normally give the delay of game warning to both teams at the pre game conference, then warn again with it happens, (it will happen). I dread the day I have to ring a team up for delay of the game, during a free throw situation.

2nd Topic: I had a varsity player from a charter school, disrobe after being pulled from the game for his 4th foul. I called the common foul near the teams bench. As I reported the foul, I hear a commotion at the teams bench between the coach and the player. A few pleasantries, nothing profane, then he shucks his shirt and starts to the end of the bench. "Bang" for the shirt off. The kid never stopped. He walked off the court and out the door.
First disrobing, "T" in 19 years. What's next?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
Maybe I read a little too much into the rule this year, but every official I've called with, hasn't warned against the high fives to the free throw shooter during a 2 shot foul. It is a delay of game to contact the free throw shooter between foul shots. I normally give the delay of game warning to both teams at the pre game conference, then warn again with it happens, (it will happen). I dread the day I have to ring a team up for delay of the game, during a free throw situation.

2nd Topic: I had a varsity player from a charter school, disrobe after being pulled from the game for his 4th foul. I called the common foul near the teams bench. As I reported the foul, I hear a commotion at the teams bench between the coach and the player. A few pleasantries, nothing profane, then he shucks his shirt and starts to the end of the bench. "Bang" for the shirt off. The kid never stopped. He walked off the court and out the door.
First disrobing, "T" in 19 years. What's next?
Tomorrow you'll have tech for face guarding

As far as the contact with the free thrower, to me that is tough...while you are completely correct in your interpretation, I am not even warning for a quick fist bump or whatever...it usually takes me that long to get the ball and give my instruction for the second shot. If they want to walk over and mull around and/or huddle, then that is a different story. Not saying I am "right", but if what they are doing is not delaying the game (the whole point of the rule in the first place), then I do not have an issue...haven't worked with a partner or partners that I can recall issuing a warning for this either, many of whom I would consider "highly experienced" w/ state finals, etc under their belts. I'm sure I'll get destroyed for this on this board, but this has never been an issue for me with a partner and/or assignor...the moment it becomes an issue I suppose I would reconsider...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

last night - good Jv boys game. Player commits 5th personal and is replaced. He has been good natured all evening with us - talking, getting us the ball etc. The gym is HOT. I look over and he is pulling up shirt. As I run past bench I said "not a good idea" coach overhears and looks down bench to see. I am now past and don't see anything. A few seconds later the ball goes out of bounds and I see partner laughing. Later I asked what happened. He told me that after I had passed a woman charged down the stands - and yanked his shirt down (from chest level) Kid turned crimson I guess. later we found out she is an official. Almost wish I could have seen it through to the end but had other responsibilities. Shirt never came off - No T
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I'm only warning when the act delays the game. If they can do it and be back in their spots by the time I've gathered the ball and given instructions, I have nothing.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It is a delay of game to contact the free throw shooter between foul shots.
I agree with jdw. It's not a delay of game to contact the free shooter. It's a warning (then a T) if the contact delays the game. There's a difference.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Two things:
First: I'm only giving this warning if it delays the game. If there are subs, for example, they generally have time for a quick bump.
Second: What instructions are you guys giving? Since my instructions fit into the time frame between when I start my throw and when the ball is released from my hand, I can tell you my "instructions" don't give the players any extra time at all.

Saying, "One. Let it hit," just doesn’t take any longer than time for the ball to get to the shooter. They're probably not listening anyway.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Two things:
First: I'm only giving this warning if it delays the game. If there are subs, for example, they generally have time for a quick bump.
Second: What instructions are you guys giving? Since my instructions fit into the time frame between when I start my throw and when the ball is released from my hand, I can tell you my "instructions" don't give the players any extra time at all.

Saying, "One. Let it hit," just doesn’t take any longer than time for the ball to get to the shooter. They're probably not listening anyway.
Just the time to gather the ball, etc...it takes two seconds, roughly the same time to give a quick bump....
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Like others have said, it's not a delay of game unless it delays the game. Officials can manage it so that a T is not necessary.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I administer certain times a little different. I generally hustle into the lane for the 2nd shot, raise one finger and say "one". What I had last night was a player, not in the lane space, coming from above the key to swap skin with the shooter and it did delay my administration. The defense never moved from their positions. I warned several times during the night. I guess I get in a flow with the game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I warned several times during the night.
That's the problem.

If it wasn't a delay, then no warning was needed.

If it was a delay, then maybe a "reminder" early, followed by one official warning, followed by a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspual
Maybe I read a little too much into the rule this year, but every official I've called with, hasn't warned against the high fives to the free throw shooter
You don't want to be the one official in your area who stands out for this. The rule hasn't changed this year.

If last night's situation was "unusual", then give the warning. If it was "normal", then it wasn't a delay.