The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Official mechanics

I see alot of refs using a chopping motion with arms crossed when signaling a foul to the table. Is this considered a hit, please clarify. What exactly is a hit?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
I see alot of refs using a chopping motion with arms crossed when signaling a foul to the table. Is this considered a hit, please clarify. What exactly is a hit?
"Hit" is not a term used in NFHS.

The chopping motion, according to the Officials Manual, should be done with closed fists and indicates illegal use of hands.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I agree this is illegal use of hands. When reporting I simplify it by calling it a "Hack" and signaling the illegal use of hands signal.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I agree this is illegal use of hands. When reporting I simplify it by calling it a "Hack" and signaling the illegal use of hands signal.
I don't call it anything.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I don't call it anything.
Really? u dont verbally report what u are signaling?? r u kiddin w/me
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS mechanics (and, iirc the NCAA mechanics) both say to signal (not verbalize) the type of foul.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That's exactly what we train our officials to do too. Talking is extraneous if a signal is given.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I verbalize "Blue 42" then give the signal. Sometimes I do a bit more in a situation where there may be confusion on what was called. An example might be where a player is pushed prior to going up with a shot, then contacted again while shooting.

I may say, "Blue 42, push before the shot" while giving the mechanic for a push. But that's only in a situation where the table seems to be confused as well as a coach. If a coach wants an explanation, he can ask me as I'll be tableside after reporting.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I used to not advocate saying anything when giving signals. In the last couple of years I have changed that opinion. Now I tell a story of what happen. I do not say "hit" or "hack." I say what they hit and what they hit it with. For example, "He hit him in the head with his right arm." I am amazed how I do not get any questions to what I called from coaches and why it was called.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I used to not advocate saying anything when giving signals. In the last couple of years I have changed that opinion. Now I tell a story of what happen. I do not say "hit" or "hack." I say what they hit and what they hit it with. For example, "He hit him in the head with his right arm." I am amazed how I do not get any questions to what I called from coaches and why it was called.

Peace
In some cases I too will do this...when you can nail down the detail, what CAN they say?!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

That is interesting to hear from so many. I truely thought one was supposed to signal (for coaches, fans and table to see) and simulataneously verbalize the signal to the table for clarity. It seems logical to me; but what do i know Of course the table doesnt care what kind of foul anyway (other than T); just color and number and add to the count I suppose.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

If you do not verbalize the foul when reporting to the table, I believe you are missing a good opportunity to communicate to the coaches what actually happened. As was said before by Splute, the table doesn't care what kind of foul - your signal and words are really for the benefit of the coaches.

In the college mechanic of calling official goes opposite, this is certainly more important than before because you can't take the time to stay table-side to explain nor can you reasonably carry on a conversation across the court.

The preliminary signal at the spot of the foul is less important (in most instances) than the signal and communication you give at/to the table.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's exactly what we train our officials to do too. Talking is extraneous if a signal is given.
I came into reffing with apparently a nasty habit of reporting to the table and saying, "I've got, blue 4/2 with a (insert foul here)......." Never even realized I was doing it. After being critiqued twice by senior evaluators - "You ain't got anything", I learned to just say color, number and then signal...... it was good advice for me.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:26pm
PYRef

We're trained to say color, number and give the signal. No verbalizing the foul. If the coach needs a clarification he can ask. 99% of the time, they don't ask.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I already spoke up in another thread recently about this and I agree with Jurassic...

Talking can get you in to trouble. There is nothing in the fed mechanics that states any verbalization should be given when reporting. Your reporting to the table, not the coaches.

Also, RNGRCK, and I don't mean any disrespect, but it seems several of the questions you have been posting could be clearly answered by referencing the FED rule and mechanics manuals. If you are officiating games, it would probably be worth the while to read through them for these basic concepts.

Last edited by cmckenna; Mon Dec 03, 2007 at 01:43pm.