The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Last night's double technical was a hooooorrible call. Mutombo had been clearly looking for a fight for about three or four minutes, then he gets fouled by Claxton, comes up and thinks it's Willis who fouled him, gets in Willis' face, and they both get Ts. Willis just stood there! He even had the sense to walk away from a similar situation just a few possessions earlier. I don't know if the NBA officials are directed to use the double T to calm a game heating up, but a guy has to deserve a T to get one. It's a copout call: "I don't want to affect the game by giving one team a free throw, but I want to look like I'm doing something to control the game so I'll call a double T."

Also, last night in our summer league, we had an official who does a lot of our JV games. One of my freshmen boxed a shooter out rather vigorously and she called her for the foul, which was a good call. Then she called it a shooting foul! I told her the shooter had long since returned to the floor and it wasn't a shooting foul. I even used the phrase "no longer an airborne shooter" hoping the rule book terms would jog her memory. She told me that until all the action at the rim is complete, that it's still a shot so she's still the shooter! We had a nice three-person discussion at halftime (me, her, and her partner) but we couldn't convince her that the try hadn't ended, but the player who was fouled was no longer eligible to collect a shooting foul after returning to the floor.

All the presence in the world wasn't going to help her on this one!
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 08:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Willis just stood there! He even had the sense to walk away from a similar situation just a few possessions earlier. ....

PACoach,
Willis' lips were moving, and I couldn't hear as well as you may have heard, but I was thinking that maybe he was saying to Mutombo something about his "...non-starting, off-the-bench self"
mick
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm not a great lip-reader, but Willis did use a word that began with an "F". Maybe it was just "Get outta my face", but maybe it was something else, I don't know.

I was glad to see that the refs caught the cheap shot on the previous jump ball. As the players were getting position around the jump circle, a Net elbowed a Spur pretty hard and pushed him into the circle. Ref was right on top of it. Good grab.

Chuck
Old Thu Jun 12, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

It was Rodney Rogers who shoved a Spur in the back. Definitely a good call. That was about the time things had started to heat up. Pretty sure the double T was necessary to say, "Hey guys, knock it off!!"