The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Juggling Work/Career with Officiating

Hi All,

Been a while, but I am back and reading the message board. Just a couple of things I am curious about that I hope some people can offer some thoughts on:

A.
How do you guys juggle your regular jobs (if you have a traditional 9 to 5 job) with your officiating?

B.
Do some of you have to leave work early sometimes to officiate? If you have a boss that you work under, how do they usually feel about this?

I'm just curious because I took a job that goes for a 9 AM to 6 PM schedule last year. Previously I had a job that was just perfect (7 AM to 3 PM) for officiating.

My old boss was ok with my leaving occassionally, but I did scale my schedule a lot last season. This season, I took a lot more games but I'm thinking I have to ask my new boss (he's not in my office) so they don't wonder where I disappeared to.

It's semi-frustrating since I do enjoy reffing but that doesn't pay for 100% of the bills!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I can tell you it's pretty damn tough.

My first year of reffing, I taught high school. School let out at 2:30 most days, so I had plenty of time to get to a 3 or 3:15 middle school start. In addition, I had lots of free time over winter and spring breaks, and picked up a lot of games then.

That said, I'm at a point in my life this year where I can't work any games. Hopefully, that will change soon.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Its very hard... I just had my first game... it was a 7pm start. I have a 6 pm start coming next week. a double header. that will be hard.. I get off at 415 but I have to pick up my kids. Its gonna be very tight.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 10:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41
Hi All,

Been a while, but I am back and reading the message board. Just a couple of things I am curious about that I hope some people can offer some thoughts on:

A.
How do you guys juggle your regular jobs (if you have a traditional 9 to 5 job) with your officiating?
I do not have that kind of job so I cannot comment directly to that kind of concern. I also have only had one type of job that affected my officiating and I eventually found another profession. I did not leave that job just because of my officiating, but I was not happy with what the job offered. I have not worked for a specific boss since.

Quote:
B.
Do some of you have to leave work early sometimes to officiate? If you have a boss that you work under, how do they usually feel about this?
I do have to adjust my schedule. But that is not a major concern. When you work mostly for yourself, it is easy to schedule around my basketball schedule. For the most part I only work one game that is on the regular work day for. The other games are on the weekend (Friday and Saturday). In many cases I can conduct business on those weekends and do things to compensate for the times I have to take off.

Then again I am in a performance based profession. I get out of it what I put into it. And yes during those days I am not working, I put in more time when so I can leave during the times I am working games.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 06:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I am one of the fortunate ones that works from 6 - 2:30.....and in the DC area I still find it tough getting to some of my early (4/4:30) F/MS/JV games. My bosses are very understanding and if I ever needed to make up hrs, I could come to the office on the weekend.

If I were to change jobs, where my hrs were later and less flexible, I imagine I would have to accept more weekday REC games, which start at 7.

That being said, my bigger issue, as has been discussed on this forum previously, is with my "spousal unit", who doesn't share my passion for the sport/hobby and doesn't appreciate me being gone 4-5 nights a week for many months. This for me is tougher to juggle......
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

I'm also now one of the fortunate ones - self-employment has its advantages and disadvantages, but one of the reasons I pursued my current job aside from the fact that this is what I want to do as a profession was the flexibility it affords me. When I need to bust out at 3:00, well, I'm the boss so I do.

None of that helps the OP, however. Previously I worked a "real job," but was fortunate to have a fairly understanding boss and a job where 8-5 was the norm but not written in stone.

All of that takes me to my personal soap box which says that all but a few "customer-facing" jobs should have results-driven compensation rather than hours-driven compensation, but that's a discussion for an entirely different message board...
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I have a "traditional" 8-5 profession, which also allows me plenty of OT (if deisred). My boss is very understanding and accommodating, as she has 1 playing D2 college and 1 playing varsity HS. She also coaches an AAU team from March to June.

I've set up my ref schedule to accommodate my work schedule; i.e. taking games after 7 PM and anytime on the weekends. This gives me time for work, mentally and physcially preparing myself on the way and then officiating the game without work stress. But, when the BC calls and asks me to work an early game because he is in need, my boss is very accommodating and let's me go early.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

As you know, it's usually a matter of individual situation. My boss is very understanding, and I reciprocate with plenty of extra hours in the off-season. And, as one's HS schedule improves, the game times tend to be later in the day.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:35am
Ref Ump Welsch

I'm fortunate to be in a field where there is some flexibility. I teach at a community college, so I can pretty much set my office hours so that I can leave for some early games if needed. My only restriction is that I have to have at least 30 hours on campus, so that gives me some flexibility too, as long as I teach my classes.

What I've done is give my assignor my availability by stating what time my last class ends for the day and let the assignor figure out where I can be and at what time. I've had no problems so far, and matter of fact, this year I'm noticing some of my games are getting to be a little later, which means more time in my office before I head to my games. Nice.

As for needing to leave early (which happens more on Fridays during football season because we travel to some far away games), my program chair has been understanding. I think it helps I'm here from 7 AM to 9 PM on Mondays during the fall semester (night class). My dean has been great about it, as long as I teach my classes and put in 30 hours a week. She knows I'm here at least 40 because she's seen my office lights on before 7 in the morning sometimes.

Important thing is, be upfront with your supervisor about it, and it doesn't hurt to let him/her know what kind of a schedule you have. Give some kind of advance notice (ie, I'm giving my dean and program chair my basketball schedule now that the subvarsity games have been finalized). If the supervisor isn't understanding, then you would have to make a tough decision. But, the more open and cordial you are about your schedule and obligations outside of work, the more open and cordial your supervisor may be.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've had an 8-5 schedule for some time now. But, while my schedule is 8-5, flexibility is also key and my boss has been very understanding. They key is getting my work done, and as long as I put in 40 hours, things are good. If I can't get 40 hours, I don’t have a problem using vacation time now and then.

Last year, I told my assigner when I was available, but that I could leave early occasionally. Then, I went and took some middle school games that start at 3:30 around here. This year, I dropped the middle school games and told my assigner that my availability is not restricted. I realized I was limiting him from giving me many varsity games since my availability restricted me to in-town games during the week. Since making the change, he's given me an out-of town Friday night varsity game next week. I'm lucky to have understanding management, though.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hi All,

A.

B.

I'm just curious because I took a job that goes for a 9 AM to 6 PM schedule last year. Previously I had a job that was just perfect (7 AM to 3 PM) for officiating.

My old boss was ok with my leaving occassionally, but I did scale my schedule a lot last season. This season, I took a lot more games but I'm thinking I have to ask my new boss (he's not in my office) so they don't wonder where I disappeared to.

It's semi-frustrating since I do enjoy reffing but that doesn't pay for 100% of the bills!
My Boss is a jerk and often wonders out loud what I'm doing leaving work early to make a few bucks when I can make a hundred times that with a few calls. He's relentless and always around when I accept a new assignment.

Of course, I'm that boss, as I own my own company albeit a tiny one.

I do feel guilty on occasion, but the guilt melts once I hit the court.

Just a matter of balance in my little corner of the world.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose you could say I have a traditional job (7 to 4:30) with every other Friday off. I will say it has been difficult to get to the 4:00 games across town, but they allow me to work a flex schedule so I can come in at 6:00 to make up the hours or additional time on the off Fridays. So far it is working, but it certainly prevents me from helping with the children after school. My wife works a 7:30 to 5:30 schedule w/ half day Fridays. I will have to see how the season goes and make changes next year.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Fortunately, most of my games are at 7:00, due to the fact I am a varsity official. I do have some 5:30 Girls Varsity Games, but I just come in early and leave early. I am also a Manager, so I can pretty much make my own schedule.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I changed jobs this past August. My new boss was a personal friend of mine, and he knows that I officiate. I knew I was in pretty good shape when I was in talking to him one week on a Wednesday and he said to me, "What time are you leaving Friday for games?" It couldn't have happened on a better week, as I had actually not scheduled any games for that weekend as I had other plans, but I kind of felt like it was his way of saying, "Joe, you're free to go ref when you need to." As long as I get my work done, he's good with that.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

My schedule (5:00 - 2:00) works perfect for officiating basketball in the winter, coaching high school baseball in the spring and golf in the fall. I can do a 3:30 Jr high game and still have time get to a 6:00 JV or a 7:30 Varsity game. In the spring and fall I can easily get to after school practices and games / matches.

The only drawback is that damn 4:00 am wakeup call.