The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

For those other than Rut who may wish to grasp my point consider the following:
8 items make up an officials rating each is equal.
1. test score
2. appearance/fitness
3. mechanics
4. camp attendence
5. years of service
6. number of games worked
7. turnbacks (the fewer the better here)
8. peer rating/coach rating

Now let's further say that each official gets a score from 1-5 with five being the highest in each category and that there is a cut-off for what is need to earn a five. Say 90%+ on the exam, yes or no did you attend the 3-man camp that the assn puts on, 10+ years with the assn, 50+ HS V games worked during the year, turnback zero games, etc. So a number of officials max out the first seven categories and have a score of 35. Now let's pick a number of officals that do this--25, but the assn can only send 15 to the regional and state games, so they are going to send the top 15 by rating score. It follows that how the officials score in the final category (peer/coach rating) is the determining factor.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is wonderful, but I was not trying to answer a question for all people. I was addressing only Illinois because it was specifically referenced.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

And I specifically wrote "those other than Rut", so I clearly wasn't addressing you. So why are you responding?

Oh yeah, the reading thing...
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 02:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I've never felt that enforcing the rules and cleaning up the game is OOO, but there are many who do and many who have stated so on this forum.
Enforcing the rules and cleaning up the game is not and never has had anything to do with being an OOO. An official that imposes his very own personal, stricter than normal criteria, when officiating a game is an OOO.

You, sir, are the perfect storm of OOOism.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nevada,

I was not talking to you in the first place. So what I had to say was not about what you think of the ratings system. So you should not even have referenced me and my point.

I will also agree with JR, you are an OOO at the top of the list. Keep quoting rules and let the real knowledgeable officials reference philosophies and how to really officiate a game.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ugh

The real problem this year, as I see it in Illinois, is that we are supposed to T up the coach with no warning when he is out of the box. I have not seen it happen yet. Anyone else?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
The real problem this year, as I see it in Illinois, is that we are supposed to T up the coach with no warning when he is out of the box. I have not seen it happen yet. Anyone else?
Actually that is not true. The IHSA made a big deal out of if about 2 years ago and then they backed off of that strict interpretation. Kurt and Beth said that they need to have officials concentrating on floor and not be so quick to only T a coach because they were out of the box.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

There used to be a very annoying Varsity assistant coach in my league. Every time an opposing player would shoot a freethrow, he would go all the way down to the end of his bench (so he would be within peripheral sight of the FT shooter) and remind his players of everything they would possibly need to know at the the top of his lungs while waving his arms around pointing out different random things. "TOM, BOX OUT, BIG STEP, BOX OUT!! MIKE, YOU GOT SHOOTER!! FRED, WATCH YOUR FEET, DON'T CROSS THE LINE!!! BOX OUT BOX OUT BOX OUT!!!" If the player took 3 seconds to shoot it, he would yell and wave his arms for 3 seconds. If the shooter took 9 seconds to shoot, he would yell and wave for 9 seconds.

During a game a few years ago, the FT shooter actually bounced the ball back to the official and asked (loudly) "can you please tell him to shut the hell up?!?"

How would you guys handle this situation? warn the coach? T the coach? T the shooter? FT violation on the shooter? I just remember laughing and spilling nacho cheese on my scouting pad.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Actually that is not true. The IHSA made a big deal out of if about 2 years ago and then they backed off of that strict interpretation. Kurt and Beth said that they need to have officials concentrating on floor and not be so quick to only T a coach because they were out of the box.

Peace

Well, then, my interpreter said something very different than your interpreter. It may or may not be true, but that is what we were told at our meeting.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, then, my interpreter said something very different than your interpreter. It may or may not be true, but that is what we were told at our meeting.
I do not know what it has to do with "My Interpreter." The person that made the comments was the sport's administrators of one of the gender's and he referenced the other sport's administrator. Also the Head Clinician of the State and Head Rules Interpreter made similar statements.

Now keep in mind, officials were being emailed from higher ups when observed by IHSA administrators when they did not follow this procedure about 2 years ago when officials did not enforce this strict policy for the coaching box. Ever since I heard the "back off" comments, I have not heard a single person get similar contact or be condemned for a lack of enforcement. I think the IHSA realized that such a strict enforcement was not practical. It does not mean that they want coaches all over the court. I just think they realize we can handle it without the only option giving Ts all the time.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got the same interpretation as Rut in the rules meeting I attended.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
There used to be a very annoying Varsity assistant coach in my league. Every time an opposing player would shoot a freethrow, he would go all the way down to the end of his bench (so he would be within peripheral sight of the FT shooter) and remind his players of everything they would possibly need to know at the the top of his lungs while waving his arms around pointing out different random things. "TOM, BOX OUT, BIG STEP, BOX OUT!! MIKE, YOU GOT SHOOTER!! FRED, WATCH YOUR FEET, DON'T CROSS THE LINE!!! BOX OUT BOX OUT BOX OUT!!!" If the player took 3 seconds to shoot it, he would yell and wave his arms for 3 seconds. If the shooter took 9 seconds to shoot, he would yell and wave for 9 seconds.

During a game a few years ago, the FT shooter actually bounced the ball back to the official and asked (loudly) "can you please tell him to shut the hell up?!?"

How would you guys handle this situation? warn the coach? T the coach? T the shooter? FT violation on the shooter? I just remember laughing and spilling nacho cheese on my scouting pad.
Well if he is a varsity assistant and he is off the bench, that is real easy I would tech him right away! Only the head coach can be off the bench....if it was the head coach doing something like this and it was obvious to me that he was doing it only to distract the shooter, I would instruct him to stop...you can't commit an unsporting act regardless of where you are on the floor, the coaches box doesn't protect him in this case. Granted it would require extreme judgement, but if it was that obvious, yeah I would do something about it...
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach

I've used the "let's be sure everybody knows what to do before the shooter gets the ball" line while administering the FT (this was with players, not with coaches).

And, I T'd a coach last night for being out of the box, and I also T'd one two years ago (iirc). (In both cases it was a combination of actions and location that did the trick -- the action in the box, or just being out of the box would have been handled differently).
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 04:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Sounds like classic disconcertion to me.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Dan, the coach was not on the floor; on the sideline out of the designated box only when the opposing team is shooting free-throw.
Then leave him alone.