The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

This could be a stupid question, but I don't consider myself particularly stupid. I am, however, eminently qualified to ask a silly question.

A5 attempts to rebound the ball. B5 runs into the back of A5 at approximately the same time that the ball hits A5 in the head. The ball heads toward the basket but misses. By rule 4-40, this would not seem to qualify as a shot. Therefore, I think I would call a common foul and apply the appropriate penalty. Am I right, so far?

What happens if the ball does go in? I figure I have to count the points, but do I still call a common foul, which could result in more than one free throw? Or do I have a good basket and one foul shot? I can't find any way to call anything but a common foul.

Rick
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Unlike the NBA you can have two points score and an 1 and 1.

If there is nothing that makes the ball dead and it goes it, two points must be scored.

You call the foul and administer appropraite penalty.

Just make sure of your live-ball/dead ball rules here
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

If a player bounced the ball behind the three point line hard enough and it went in the basket, you award two points. The "try" ends when the ball hit the floor, but a live ball entered the basket from above.

In this case, there was legally no try, since, by definition, a try has to be made by throwing the ball,or by tapping the ball with the hand(4-40). I would count the basket, and treat as a common foul..ball to the header's team, or free throws if they are in the bonus.... and promise the opposing coach a fax tomorrow with rule references.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

FrankHTown,

Why would you count the basket. My understanding is that if it is not a try, (shot or tap) the ball becomes dead when the whistle blows. If the whistle blows before the ball enters the hoop, then it should be dead. Thus no points. If the whistle blows after the ball has entered the hoop, then count the points. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
This could be a stupid question, but I don't consider myself particularly stupid. I am, however, eminently qualified to ask a silly question.

A5 attempts to rebound the ball. B5 runs into the back of A5 at approximately the same time that the ball hits A5 in the head. The ball heads toward the basket but misses. By rule 4-40, this would not seem to qualify as a shot. Therefore, I think I would call a common foul and apply the appropriate penalty. Am I right, so far?

What happens if the ball does go in? I figure I have to count the points, but do I still call a common foul, which could result in more than one free throw? Or do I have a good basket and one foul shot? I can't find any way to call anything but a common foul.

Rick
If you call the common foul, the ball becomes dead as there was not a try in progress. The ball was merely in the air. No basket.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I agree. If the whistle blew before the ball entered the basket, then no basket.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm, does the whistle cause the ball to become dead? Or does the non-shooting foul cause the ball to become dead?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Hmmmm, does the whistle cause the ball to become dead? Or does the non-shooting foul cause the ball to become dead?
Yes.
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Yes.
Thanks for clearing that up
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
As Kelvin said, it is possible to have a basket followed by a 1-and-1 by another player on the same team. But not on this play.

Ball bounces off A1's head. B1 bumps A1 as the ball hits A1.

If the contact occurs before the ball goes in the basket, then the ball is dead and the basket does not count, as others have said.

If the contact occurs after the ball goes in the basket, then the ball is dead when it passes through the basket. Since the contact then occured during a dead ball, it should be ignored unless intentional or flagrant.

So on the original play, you'll have a foul or a basket, but not both.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 5th, 2004 at 07:23 PM]