The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Goofy situation

Had a goofy situation tonight. In pre-game I ask the timer if he knows the new rules on first horn. He doesn't. We go over them. Then, in 4th quarter, I have a warning on blue for a boundary violation on the throw-in. As I'm going over to report it both teams run to benches for a TO. My partner starts to tell the timer to start the clock for a TO. I tell my partner to hold reporting the TO until I finish reporting the warning. I go back to spot of the ball. Partner calls out to me, "Who called the TO?" I walk over and said, "I didn't give anyone a TO. I had a bounday violation warning." Seems the timer and partner thought it was a TO. Partner goes to the teams and says, "Get back on the court, we don't have a TO." Girls trot back on to the court. Watched my body language... I really did... but had to think to myself, what in the world just happened? How can you get a warning and a TO mixed up? And how can you stop a TO once you've told them they have one?

Last edited by refnrev; Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 11:30pm.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:37pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Had a goofy situation tonight. In pre-game I ask the timer if he knows the new rules on first horn. He doesn't. We go over them. Then, in 4th quarter, I have a warning on blue for a boundary violation on the throw-in. As I'm going over to report it both teams run to benches for a TO. My partner starts to tell the timer to start the clock for a TO. I tell my partner to hold reporting the TO until I finish reporting the warning. I go back to spot of the ball. Partner calls out to me, "Who called the TO?" I walk over and said, "I didn't give anyone a TO. I had a bounday violation warning." Seems the timer and partner thought it was a TO. Partner goes to the teams and says, "Get back on the court, we don't have a TO." Girls trot back on to the court. Watched my body language... I really did... but had to think to myself, what in the world just happened? How can you get a warning and a TO mixed up? And how can you stop a TO once you've told them they have one?
No offense, but whose responsibility was it to communicate exactly what was going on so there was no confusion?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

That would be mine -- the guy who blew the whistle, signaled the violation, then went to the table to report it. I would say it that was pretty clear.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 08:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
No offense, but whose responsibility was it to communicate exactly what was going on so there was no confusion?
No offense, but is the air really thin way up there on your high horse?

My question for the original situation is why is your partner reporting a time-out that he thinks you granted? Might want to remind him that if you granted a time-out, you want to report it yourself. He's probably just trying to help, but that's just not his responsibility.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Good call Scrappy -- that was my point. With a clear bounday violation where did the TO come from and why was he reporting it? I'm writing last night off as a weird one and looking forward.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Just because you say, "no offense," doesn't make your post any less condescending and arrogant.

No offense.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Just because you say, "no offense," doesn't make your post any less condescending and arrogant.

No offense.
Indeed, many people preface the most offensive tripe with the expression, apparently not understanding that some things can't be said (or written) without giving offense.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Indeed, many people preface the most offensive tripe with the expression, apparently not understanding that some things can't be said (or written) without giving offense.
Is that what's going on when my wife says, "no offense, but do you have to take the entire newspaper in there?"
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I heard a comedian use "I'm just sayin" that way. As if "I'm just sayin" makes the comment ok. "I'm not sayin' you're a disgusting fat slob, but you could lose 40 or 50 pounds. I'm just sayin'."
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once again, you assume he did something wrong. Should he, after blowing the whistle, list everything he's NOT blowing the whistle for??? Sounds like he did everything right but the players and partner were not paying attention. Perhaps it was time when a timeout was expected. The partner may be to blame for assuming a timeout was called, but not the OP.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I heard a comedian use "I'm just sayin" that way. As if "I'm just sayin" makes the comment ok. "I'm not sayin' you're a disgusting fat slob, but you could lose 40 or 50 pounds. I'm just sayin'."
Exactly. I mean, good example.

I'm just sayin.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Once again, you assume he did something wrong. Should he, after blowing the whistle, list everything he's NOT blowing the whistle for??? Sounds like he did everything right but the players and partner were not paying attention. Perhaps it was time when a timeout was expected. The partner may be to blame for assuming a timeout was called, but not the OP.
I don't know what his mechanic was. Perhaps he pointed to the team bench that was to receive the warning and that was misleading. Until the OP responds I can't say. If this happened to me, I would definitely wonder if I did something to make the teams think that I had granted a TO.

In other words before being upset with my partner, the table crew, or the teams, I would take a hard look in the mirror. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Let's review it again.
White has ball to inbound at the baseline.
I have my left hand in the air and am counting with right arm. Whistle is in my mouth.
Blue reaches through the line and commits voundary violation as white tries to throw the ball in. NO - she did not make contact for an intentional foul.
Tweet.
I signal the line violation, and say to players, "We have a boundary violation, blue."
Walk towards the table to reporting area.
Tell my partner who is starting to report a TO to hold the TO until the violation is reported.
Report the violation by saying, "We have bounday violation; blue; first warning."
Go back to baseline with ball.
Partner then reports a TO. Then he asks me, who called the time out?
I think that covers the mechanics I used.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Bob,

So you are saying your partner told you he had a TO and you told him to hold it until you reported the violation. Once you reported it, then your partner granted the timeout then asked you who called it?

Is that correct?
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:15pm
PYRef

How do you report a timeout if you don't know who requested it?

I'm just sayin', it sounds like it may be some misinterpretation by the partner.