The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I've been to four IAABO refresher exam meetings, sessions, clinics, etc. and I am still not satisfied with the answer to question #80:

With 3/10's of a second or less on the game clock, B-1 attempts to catch A-1's throwin. Simultaneously, A-2 from behind B-1 taps the ball from B-1's hands. After the ball leaves A-2's hand, time expires. Ball enters basket. Official disallows the basket. Is the official correct?

Answer Sheet: No; Citation 5-2-5

I don't believe that there's enough information to answer the question correctly, doesn't it depend on which basket the ball enters, A's or B's, information which is not given in the question?

If the ball enters A's basket, the answer no is correct, the official should have allowed the goal, but if the ball enters B's basket, it's not a legal try and the expiration of time causes the ball to become dead, which means the official was correct in disallowing the goal.

Help???
If the IAABO exam is written the same as the NFHS exam, then you have that information.
The convention used in writing these questions is that Team A is the offensive team, Team B is the defensive team, A1 and B1 are players of Team A and Team B, and a tap is toward the tapper's basket. It says so in a note across the top of the first page of the exam.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
I will not fax the test until JR says that it is OK.
That will happen when hell freezes over!
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:24pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Our board hands out the refresher exam which has 80 questions specific to the Fed. That is handed out in the classes as a study guide. I see no reason why the 50 question exam needs to be passed out early as a 'study guide'. It wasn't available in the 1970s when I passed it the first time, but I think there was a refresher test that was handed out. We meet and discuss the refresher exam in several groups throughout the state in November. If the OP needs it because he has not yet passed the written test to become certified then that could signify a character flaw. Maybe he will clarify for us.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

The "50-question IAABO exam" is the test for new officials seeking IAABO certification. It is uniformly given on the same night -- precisely so no one can get an advantage from someone who took the exam a day or a week earlier. The actual exam is collected with the answers...for the same reason. A passing score of 86% is required for IAABO certification. If you score 80%, you get a provisional certification...but must take the exam again in about three months.

The 80-question refresher test is just that. It actually is a 100-question test, but the first 80 questions are for NFHS rules only. There is no requirement from IAABO for how this exam is used. My board simply hands it out at the mandatory rules interpretation meeting and then reviews it at the next meeting. I know other boards require members to take the exam as an open-book test and some minimum score is necessary for continued certification. No one that I know in IAABO has access to the 50-question test. Much like SAT exams, they are kept in sealed envelopes and opened only at the official testing site (at least that is how it is supposed to work.)

Anyone who wants an advance copy of the 50-question test is looking to cheat. It is that simple.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
The "50-question IAABO exam" is the test for new officials seeking IAABO certification. It is uniformly given on the same night -- precisely so no one can get an advantage from someone who took the exam a day or a week earlier. The actual exam is collected with the answers...for the same reason. A passing score of 86% is required for IAABO certification. If you score 80%, you get a provisional certification...but must take the exam again in about three months.

The 80-question refresher test is just that. It actually is a 100-question test, but the first 80 questions are for NFHS rules only. There is no requirement from IAABO for how this exam is used. My board simply hands it out at the mandatory rules interpretation meeting and then reviews it at the next meeting. I know other boards require members to take the exam as an open-book test and some minimum score is necessary for continued certification. No one that I know in IAABO has access to the 50-question test. Much like SAT exams, they are kept in sealed envelopes and opened only at the official testing site (at least that is how it is supposed to work.)
Thanks for the posted information above. That's basically what I was told when I inquired to other IAABO sources about the 50-question exam.