The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

How to do your best with new/sub-par officials?

In the last two years I've really tried to take my officiating to a higher level. I'm visiting and participating in discussion boards like this one. I'm learning how to apply the rules, not just know them. I've been to high school and juco camps, I'm seeking out mentors and working hard on position and angles, applying advantage/disadvantage, etc. And, I've made real progress and my schedule last year showed that.

The question relates to how to continue to improve and "show my stuff" when working with brand new and sub-par officials? Unfortunately for my officiating progression, a job-related move has taken me to a brand new state with a completely new system for assigning games and rating officials. I'm proving myself all over again, and that's fine and to be expected, but I'm struggling with being on top of my game with partners who most obviously aren't.

Last night was my second scrimmage, and I've got another tonight before the season starts. My performance in these scrimmages is important, as I'll be given a rating by the assigners for my district based on my performance. So far, it's gone okay and I've gotten good feedback from my assignors, but far from where I want to be. I've been stuck in both with partners who are significantly sub-par, mostly due to inexperience. Last night with one who is brand new this year, and we were officiating two very athletic boys teams from the largest class in the state.

I made at least two calls that were "borderline" my responsibility, at best. One was flat out of my primary. I was just having a hard time trusting my partners and the game was getting a bit out of hand at times.

Sorry for the long, rambling post, but I'd love if any of you who are in or have been in similar situations have advice or suggestions on how I can continue to improve and grow in this situation. I anticipate getting a few varsity contests this year with other experienced and "well-rated" officials, but I'll be doing a lot of JV and maybe some MS, and will see last night's type of situation a lot.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

That's a tough one, but you can take the opportunity to be the newbie's mentor, at least for that game. If you can, pregame. If you can't, at least during timeouts, in between quarters, etc, remind your partner of their primarys; point out to them that in transition, that as old lead becoming new trail, you're going to hustle to get in position to help with weak side rebounding, and you expect him/her to do the same. Keep the rebounding clean. Don't be afraid to blow the whistle, especially at lower levels. If you see something, call it.

I had to do this last night...

As far as you progressing, the cream usually rises, but as you know, if you can make your partner better, it helps make you look better, too
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

In my area before you move up to Varsity games you're expected to be the vet , at lower levels,for a couple of seasons. Last year was my first as "the vet" and here are some of the things I learned.

1. I would have to be the one dealing with coaches.
2. I had to let partners live and die with their calls.
3. i had to get comfortable with making the borderline calls that you were
talking about.
4. If games were going on tilt I needed to take charge or the games were going to go sideways.
5. I also realized the assignors and other people of influence realized what the deal was and gave me wide berth to do what I had to do.

All in all I did pretty well. Did I make mistakes, of course but I learned for the most part I could handle being "the vet". This year I will be getting a very limited amount of Varsity games and will continue to be the Vet for another year. I really enjoyed the games where I got to work with another "vet."
Things flowed, minimal problems and great ratings.......
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Part of "growing" as an official is knowing when to go out of your primary to "get the fouls that need to be gotten."

Last night, I went out of my primary twice (that I recall). Once was needed, once really wasn't. So, I learned.

At least once, someone came into my primary and bailed me out.

Multiple times I "thought I saw" something out of my primary, but passed on making a call.

That said, especially in scrimmages, let the newer officials learn. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

If you need to go out of your area, tell the evaluators that's what you did, and ask for their feedback on that particular call.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The best way to look good is to make your crew look good. That goes for any position on the pecking order. If you think you shine, and your partner looks like a dork, you don't necessarily shine to anyone but yourself.

One thing I've done as I've improved is to practice a few sentences that can help the partner look better. One is to the partner before the game: How would you like us to work together? Which can lead to your knowing whether or not he or she wants suggestions, comments from you.

Another is to an unhappy coacn: He had a good look, coach. I had my attention on (anything away from what the coach is complaining about). These sentences tell the better coaches that you're not going to throw your partner under the bus, no matter what kind of mistakes they make.

Never override your partner. Never. It's okay to hustle in with some sort of suggestion, but only that person can change their own call.

Always remember that although it's importnat to do your best, and every game is importnat to those players, in the larger scheme of things, these little errors aren't really earthshaking. No matter how bad it gets, this too will pass.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:48am
We don't rent pigs

The following line often goes through my head during a game, particularly when I have a partner who does not call much: "If he can't call that a foul from there, there's no way I can call it a foul from here." IOW, don't try to compensate for what you perceive to be a marginal partner by making marginal calls yourself.

Find a compliment anywhere that you can. Often if your partner is really that weak, the coaches and fans won't even bother complaining to him, but instead will direct it all to you. "C'mon, ref, you're gonna have to help us with that one."
etc. etc.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

How often do you talk to partners during the game and at half-time? What do you talk about. In my games, I try to get the crew together at the spot of the throw in quickly at the first time out. We talk about what we are seeing and how we are feeling. If there has been a goofy play and we have time to discuss it quickly as far as what we saw, we do. At the half, ask questions. If you are having to get out of your primary to make a call, ask them why they passed and what they saw. Don't as in an accusing fashion, just go fishing for information. I can't believe no-one has mentioned it, but pregame...pregame...pregame.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
How often do you talk to partners during the game and at half-time?
Whenever needed, and a lot more than some. Love to get on the same page as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
pregame...pregame...pregame.
Unfortunately, the "standard practice" in this area is to arrive sometime within 5 minutes of tip at all scrimmages and JV games. Ugh...

I appreciate all the posts on this subject. I love the opportunity to help younger/new officials, and definitely did all I could last night to ask lots of questions. The new official I was working with wants to do well, learn, and I think has the potential to be very good, so I'm hopeful he'll keep working at it, and I offered to help all I could.

I'm kinda caught in that middle ground right now - I'm still young/new enough that I've got to be more careful than some in offering unsolicited advice, but experienced enough that I think I can really help. I'm also having to "prove" myself to the folks around here since I'm new, so it's an added challenge.

All-in-all, I'm loving being back on the court again. I kind of forget how much fun it is during the summer when I'm not doing any officiating. I've got another scrimmage tonight and the same crew is going, so I'll have more of the same - we've got a ride tonight so hopefully we can pregame!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think the biggest problem/challenge/opportunity, that comes from being a good official is that you are frequently partnered with weaker officials. This is something you're going to have to learn to do, and do well. Here's what I've learned so far:
  • Communicate, communicate, communicate
  • Take care of everything in your area. Obviously not normally a problem, or you wouldn't be where you're at. But we have to do our own work first.
  • Expand your area some, to help out when you can, and when it's appropriate
  • Call your game, and let your partner adjust. How else will they learn if not by your example?
  • Let your partner make mistakes. It's how you and I learned. It'll work for him/her too.
  • Free your partner to focus on the game. You take care of the coaches, table, everything that isn't directly related to refereeing the action between the lines.
  • Be aware for the whole crew. Know foul counts, arrow, time out situation. Communicate this to your partner. Get the shooters. Know where you'll restart after timeouts.
  • If the game is tanking, step it up.
  • Realize that you're almost always be better off with a any partner than no partner. So keep him/her in the game.
  • If everything else truly fails, you may have to take over the game entirely. This is not a good experience for your partner, but your loyalty is to the game first.
  • Be positive, instructive, supportive. But also be honest. Never send a partner who wants to learn home with a, "You did fine. Just keep it up." And never send a partner who doesn't want to learn home with false praise.
As always, just my $0.02
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I think the biggest problem/challenge/opportunity, that comes from being a good official is that you are frequently partnered with weaker officials. This is something you're going to have to learn to do, and do well. Here's what I've learned so far:
  • Take care of everything in your area. Obviously not normally a problem, or you wouldn't be where you're at. But we have to do our own work first.
  • Call your game, and let your partner adjust. How else will they learn if not by your example?
  • Let your partner make mistakes. It's how you and I learned. It'll work for him/her too.
  • Free your partner to focus on the game. You take care of the coaches, table, everything that isn't directly related to refereeing the action between the lines.
  • Be aware for the whole crew. Know foul counts, arrow, time out situation. Communicate this to your partner. Get the shooters. Know where you'll restart after timeouts.
  • Realize that you're almost always be better off with a any partner than no partner. So keep him/her in the game.
  • If everything else truly fails, you may have to take over the game entirely. This is not a good experience for your partner, but your loyalty is to the game first.
  • Be positive, instructive, supportive. But also be honest. Never send a partner who wants to learn home with a, "You did fine. Just keep it up." And never send a partner who doesn't want to learn home with false praise.
As always, just my $0.02
That is a great list. Well said.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
As always, just my $0.02
Great list, thanks. Great for me to review prior to heading to the scrimmage tonight!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:33pm
PYRef

Quote:
If everything else truly fails, you may have to take over the game entirely. This is not a good experience for your partner, but your loyalty is to the game first.

My question on this is where do you draw the line in calling out of your area. I'm sure we've all worked with different officials that we may have felt were subpar at times (I'm sure I've been that official at times myself).
I tend to believe that those that are rating you will clearly see where the weaknesses are in situations like this. At what point does the assignor start seeing you as taking over the game and calling out of your area?
There have been numerous times before on this board where posters have gotten flamed for ball watching and calling out of their area. "Who's paying attention to the other players while you were looking there?"
I think you need to go out every game and do your very best. Obviously, there are times where you might easily be in position to see something in your partner's area, but I would be careful to not overstep your bounds. That could backfire with your partners and assignor.
In addition, there's always the possibility your not as sharp as you think.
JMO

Last edited by PYRef; Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 01:36pm.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
My question on this is where do you draw the line in calling out of your area.
This is the challenge for sure. My attempt last night was to focus on my primary, but not be afraid to get something if, as I was looking "through" my primary I saw something obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
In addition, there's always the possibility your not as sharp as you think.
What?!?!?!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Good points, PY.

Most assignors would rather a 'newbie' live or die with their calls or non calls in their own primary, rather than have you call the game for your partner. Only way the newbie gains experience.

Had a partner once that gave the impression during our 'pregame' that he was well in control of the situation and knew what he was doing, as he was an older gentleman than myself, and proceeded to come out and call all over the gym during the first quarter. He even made a few (incorrect) calls in the freshman game being played in a different gym. Had to give him a clinic at halftime, going over things like primary area of responsibility, etc.

Just because someone can pass a test doesn't mean they know the material....
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Had to give him a clinic at halftime, going over things like primary area of responsibility, etc.
How did that go?