The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
While I agree, it is SOP to do this in some areas.

And, while I wouldn't look for the T, if it was done in any kind of "taunting" manner, I would assess it.
I will not be around long enough to examine the possibilities. Officials should be out of there and staying around would be silly if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 12:52pm
We don't rent pigs

While I agree that this post-game celebration thing is not something you would linger to watch searching for improper behavior, the removal of a jersey is not illegal only when considered taunting. There was a study guide/test question which involved all players coming out wearing warmups, then changing into their jerseys just before the game. Was this a technical foul? Yes. Same for a player with blood on the jersey. The change must take place in the locker room, right?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Well, you are free to feel that it is OO if you please, but it is exactly what the NFHS wants called.
Who cares? Just like Dan said, it matters only what I think if I am on the court. I do not work for the NF. This is an interpretation, it is not a mandate. Maybe one of these days you will understand the difference.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:35pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
While I agree that this post-game celebration thing is not something you would linger to watch searching for improper behavior, the removal of a jersey is not illegal only when considered taunting. There was a study guide/test question which involved all players coming out wearing warmups, then changing into their jerseys just before the game. Was this a technical foul? Yes. Same for a player with blood on the jersey. The change must take place in the locker room, right?
Wasn't there an exception for the blood/torn uniform being changed at the bench?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Wasn't there an exception for the blood/torn uniform being changed at the bench?
Not from the NF. Your state might have taken a different point of view.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Interpret the rules strictly, but apply them with judgment.
That's exactly what I was trying to say.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm asking before I look, but isn't there some goofy exception or something that would make you play the overtime in this situation? I might be thinking of a correctable error situation. Anyone else remember such a casebook play or test question? Personally I wouldn't have seen the jerseys come off. I agree with many that this is just looking for trouble.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I will not be around long enough to examine the possibilities. Officials should be out of there and staying around would be silly if you ask me.

Peace
I agree.

Unfortunately, most of my partners on my home board did not. I still remember the end of my most "difficult" game ever - after the horn, I jogged pretty quickly to the locker room, then looked back to see my partner strolling casually towards me.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm asking before I look, but isn't there some goofy exception or something that would make you play the overtime in this situation? I might be thinking of a correctable error situation. Anyone else remember such a casebook play or test question? Personally I wouldn't have seen the jerseys come off. I agree with many that this is just looking for trouble.
If the score was tied (and all action had ended), then administer the T's as part of the OT. Since the score wasn't tied, administer the T's as part of the 4th quarter to see if an OT is needed.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No OT.

You only play OT when the 4th quarter and any activity related to it is completed and the score is tied.

If, instead, it has been a 2 point game, a T had been called on one player, the 2 FT's are made...tieing the game....the game is not going to OT...even if another player earns a T. Had that last player earned the T before the final FT of the first set had been shot, it would have been shot immediately to see if an OT would be played (since it was commited before the 4th quarter ended).
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
No OT.

You only play OT when the 4th quarter and any activity related to it is completed and the score is tied.

If, instead, it has been a 2 point game, a T had been called on one player, the 2 FT's are made...tieing the game....the game is not going to OT...even if another player earns a T.
Did you have a typo here? It seems that you meant to write "now".

PS I learned something from looking up your spelling of "tieing". I've always spelled it "tying". I was stunned to learn that both are acceptable.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who cares? Just like Dan said, it matters only what I think if I am on the court. I do not work for the NF. This is an interpretation, it is not a mandate. Maybe one of these days you will understand the difference.
So why don't you just throw out the entire NF rules book and just do as you please? Oh wait, you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Not from the NF. Your state might have taken a different point of view.
Again what difference does it make to you what the NF says, you are just going to do whatever you wish.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't have seen the jerseys come off. I agree with many that this is just looking for trouble.
For you and anyone else who shares this opinion, would you also "not see" a jersey come off prior to the start of the game? Do you also "not see" pregame dunks? Would these also be examples of "looking for trouble"?

How do you justify ignoring something that is clearly illegal after the final horn, but penalizing the same/similar action prior to the starting whistle?

I don't see how one picks and chooses what rules to enforce and which to ignore.

The best policy has to be to call it according to the rules as written as stated in the POE last year.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So why don't you just throw out the entire NF rules book and just do as you please? Oh wait, you do.
Actually you have no idea what I do. You will never work with me. And a rulebook official like you will never understand a concept we call common sense. It is about getting off the court and not trying to find every little possible infraction.

Quote:
Again what difference does it make to you what the NF says, you are just going to do whatever you wish.
My state wants us to get off the court; they do not want us hanging out. Now maybe you have never done a game with a lot of people, but I have when people rush the court. You do not want to be hanging out to find out what people have for you. And in many of those cases it is also hard to see what players are doing. I am going to assume that if a game is that close that was a realistic possibility. Then again you would not know that now would you?

Peace
Old Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

My response to your post is:

Quote:
Actually you have no idea what I do. You will never work with me.
Right back at you, you arrogant @^#(&*.
Closed Thread