The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen any technicals in any of the games I've watched in the tournament so far. Of course, I haven't seen all of the games.

Have I missed something or is everyone behaving well?
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The New Guy
I haven't seen any technicals in any of the games I've watched in the tournament so far. Of course, I haven't seen all of the games.

Have I missed something or is everyone behaving well?
There was one called against Illinois late in their 1st round game against Air Force, for too many players on the court. Apparently, while two IL players were shuffling around getting to their seats on the bench after subbing out, one of them stepped out on the floor, and the official called the T.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
3 so far in the Indiana/Gonzaga Game

Morrison got one along with another Indiana player, basically the Indiana player blocked out Morrison, the ball went in, they got tangled, Morrison gave a shove.

Then the next Gonzaga possession Killingsworth got called for a push (from behind) on an entry pass, then looked at the ref (from about 10 feet away) and screamed "That's Bull****".

Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Karl Hobbs and Pops Mensah-Bonsu SHOULD have been T'd up a number of times today. I was really surprised at the leverage the officials gave those two today.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

GW-Duke

I too was surprised how much Hobbs was allowed out of the coaching box in the game. He seemed to be quite a ways out at times but I assumed since it was a major college game, that he was given extra leaway (though it could have been different if he'd been that far out while someone came flying up the court).

I only saw the first half on TV and listened to the rest on the radio. What did Mensah-Bonsu do that might have deserved a T?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
A UCLA player last night ran out on the court from the bench last night after they made a 3 to go up by 1 with 3 seconds left. He was WAY out there, trying to hug the player who made the shot. I guess he thought a time-out was called, and one eventually was, but geeze.

The ref stuck his arm out in front of him, pushed him back to the bench. Good job by him, don't want a technical foul at that point.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by TussAgee11
A UCLA player last night ran out on the court from the bench last night after they made a 3 to go up by 1 with 3 seconds left. He was WAY out there, trying to hug the player who made the shot. I guess he thought a time-out was called, and one eventually was, but geeze.

The ref stuck his arm out in front of him, pushed him back to the bench. Good job by him, don't want a technical foul at that point.
I didn't see this play but the rule is to only T if players/fans coming on the court interfere with play.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I didn't see this play but the rule is to only T if players/fans coming on the court interfere with play.
Is this a spoken rule or a written rule?

I saw this happen and all I could do is shake my head because this has happened all tournament long. I've seen 3 times where this has happened. One of these times it's going to interfere with a play and cost a team the game! If I was a coach and one of my players did this I would go Bob Knight on them!

Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Is this a spoken rule or a written rule?

I saw this happen and all I could do is shake my head because this has happened all tournament long. I've seen 3 times where this has happened. One of these times it's going to interfere with a play and cost a team the game! If I was a coach and one of my players did this I would go Bob Knight on them!

10-3-20a

Art. 20. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play. This shall also apply to bench personnel.
a. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be
ignored and play shall be continued or be resumed at the
point of interruption.

10-5-3a and AR 9

Art. 3. Delaying a game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play.
a. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored and play shall continue or be resumed at the point of interruption.

A.R. 9. Team B leads, 67-66. A1’s two-point try for goal is successful. Two seconds remain on the game clock. Assuming that the successful try was a game-ending and winning goal, bench personnel and fans from Team A go onto the playing court to celebrate.
RULING: When the celebration causes a delay by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or prevents continuous play, an indirect technical foul shall be assessed to the offending team. Any player from Team B shall attempt the two free throws and play shall resume at the point of interruption. When the celebration does not delay or interfere with play, the celebration shall be ignored.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to shawn29
Are you sure this didnt occur in the LSU-A&M game last night?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shawn29
Are you sure this didnt occur in the LSU-A&M game last night?
It happened in this game too!
Old Sun Mar 19, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Looks Like Bob Donato's knee is healthy. His trigger finger is, too... he just nailed Calipari with a T.