The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Opener last night: JV/V double header. No problems, but lots of fouls called. I don't like how the game gets more and more physical every year and how sloppy physical play just drains you.
That's fairly common during the opening games. Teams have had 20 (SWAG) practices of the coach yelling, "Get Tougher! Be more aggressive!" and no one blowing a whistle for fouls. Now they will begin to adjust.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
It couldve been worse....
Linky
The lady Bisons...???

That's not very flattering.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The lady Bisons...???

It can't be too bad...it's not a body part.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
It can't be too bad...it's not a body part.
Not even a euphemism for a body part!
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:25pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Home team blocks shot, all ball and partner calls foul on home team. Visitors second possession, same situation, all ball, foul, Home coach goes ballistic.
I have to wonder about who was where and who was watching what. Your partner called shooting fouls on two consecutive possessions and you had a good enough look at both to state decisively that they were wrong? Who was watching the other 8 players?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
I have to wonder about who was where and who was watching what. Your partner called shooting fouls on two consecutive possessions and you had a good enough look at both to state decisively that they were wrong? Who was watching the other 8 players?
JAR, I'd back off this a little bit, he did say the situation was on a drive so most likely the ball was right in the middle of the paint, a spot where both officials can have a very good look at the play. I like to pregame my coverage in 2 man as refereeing where the other official cannot, and this can very well end up in two officials refereeing different parts/angles of the same play. The discipline comes in not guessing and reffing the defense and trusting that your partner has an open look if you've got a closed angle. If you subscribe strictly to the lines on the floor and where the players are method of officiating, you can pretty much guarantee that there will be guessing going on, and that you don't have good coverage as a crew. That being said, the OP probably got a good open look at the play and his partner didn't trust him and guessed wrong.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Fair question. I was trail, tableside, player driving from my primary into paint for shot, I stepped down to three point arc to prepare for rebound. I didnt say my partner was wrong, I said the block was all ball and will further clarify that my view was it was a clean block, thus no whistle from me. I didnt tell the story to rag my partner; rather I intended to explain how the tone was set early for a long night.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 06:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The lady Bisons...???

Too bad St. Johns changed their name.

The Lady Redman?

Who can you think of that might have an orgasm while protesting that one?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

After my final post last night I went to bed rethinking the game and my post. Again let me be clear, I would have to beat up my performance before I could even consider addressing my partner. I made too many mistakes of my own. After rethinking the game, it amazed me how many things happened in that first game that have been covered on this forum. Some I immediately realized; some I didnt till later. For instance, I swore that in one of my games (clearing my throat) I would never let the Scoring Team immediately step out of bounds and throw in the ball. Let me restate that... Team A scores basket (it is now B's ball w/running endline) Team A grabs ball and begins a throw-in. Ya know, I cant say that will never happen in my game ever again Fortunately we caught it but I was completely taken by surprise. Another early lesson. So many other things.... I have lots to learn
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
After my final post last night I went to bed rethinking the game and my post. Again let me be clear, I would have to beat up my performance before I could even consider addressing my partner. I made too many mistakes of my own. After rethinking the game, it amazed me how many things happened in that first game that have been covered on this forum. Some I immediately realized; some I didnt till later. For instance, I swore that in one of my games (clearing my throat) I would never let the Scoring Team immediately step out of bounds and throw in the ball. Let me restate that... Team A scores basket (it is now B's ball w/running endline) Team A grabs ball and begins a throw-in. Ya know, I cant say that will never happen in my game ever again Fortunately we caught it but I was completely taken by surprise. Another early lesson. So many other things.... I have lots to learn
Don't worry, with that attitude, you will learn, and learn quickly. keep remembering that when you quit learning, you might as well be dead.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Don't worry, with that attitude, you will learn, and learn quickly. keep remembering that when you quit learning, you might as well be dead.
Thanks, I'll be honest, sitting in the stands I never realized how difficult this would be. Ya know? I never missed a call in the stands. I can see now how this process will take years and still never completely learn it all.