The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Good Tuesday

I'm just feeling good this morning and thought I'd post. I had a women's game last night and the crew (1 I've worked with before, the other I've met at camps) was really sharp. We had a competitive game and we rotated well, mechanics were good, and we were seeing the game the same way. Communication was as good as I've ever had on a crew other than my high school crew. I opened on Saturday and it went fine, but it was a complete blowout. I think we did a good job, but last night was a night when we were just "in it". How has everyone else's openers gone?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I will let you know tomorrow. It should be fine.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I'm just feeling good this morning and thought I'd post. I had a women's game last night and the crew (1 I've worked with before, the other I've met at camps) was really sharp. We had a competitive game and we rotated well, mechanics were good, and we were seeing the game the same way. Communication was as good as I've ever had on a crew other than my high school crew. I opened on Saturday and it went fine, but it was a complete blowout. I think we did a good job, but last night was a night when we were just "in it". How has everyone else's openers gone?
Had a really good men's juco game on Sat for my opener, 87-86 I believe...only bad part was the officials locker room was literally INSIDE the home team locker room (little room off to the side) and of course the home team lost by a point...so we had to sit in our little box and listen to the home team coach rip his team a new one for 10 mins before we could slink out with our heads down right past the team as they changed...not a good set-up!
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:43am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
How has everyone else's openers gone?
Double OT. Can you believe that?!?! Last night's juco was a lot easier. Toss at 7, home by 8:45. Beautiful!
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Double OT. Can you believe that?!?! Last night's juco was a lot easier. Toss at 7, home by 8:45. Beautiful!
Do you live on campus?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Must be nice. My game was a little over 2 hours away. I rolled into my place at 11ish still wide awake. I warned my students that I didn't get much sleep and I might be cranky today.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Do you live on campus?
I think it went quicker because he only had to toss it up 1 time to start the game.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 11:42am
Huck Finn

I've had 3 college games and 6 (MS does double-headers) high school games already. The opener went well enough that I don't really remember much about it.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 12:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Double OT??? What is wrong with you?

Were you by any chance working with my buddy Bhuck Elics? He had a double OT game the other day also...
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I will let you know tomorrow. It should be fine.
Well its tomorrow.... Girls JV, 10th A & B.... didnt go as perfect as I had hoped, but it wasnt a total disaster either. Home team gets jump ball; fails to score, visitors rebound and drive for score.. Home team blocks shot, all ball and partner calls foul on home team... that is when it started Visitors second possession, same situation, all ball, foul, Home coach goes ballistic. That set the tone and the home crowd rode us the rest of the night. I believe the calling improved, but the crowd was not happy with anything we called. I stayed for the Varsity game to see if they called it differently regarding fouls and to watch how experienced officials work. They called it the same as we did, but didnt get the same crowd remarks. So here are the things I take away from the game that I need to improve on:
1 Better communication with partner (several minor issues that made us look bad)
2. Posture / solid calling & reporting
3. Bonus administration (this one bites: my partner, lead, called a foul, I didnt catch the player that was fouled, we inbound and are informed of bonus situation... yep, you guessed it... who is going to shoot? curses!!!)
4. Study the rules, AGAIN!
5. Communication with partner!!

For my first School game ever, I think it was positive.... at least I am not going to give up just yet.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Double OT??? What is wrong with you?

Were you by any chance working with my buddy Bhuck Elics? He had a double OT game the other day also...
Did I see a boxscore with Bhuck? I assume that it was Chuck's name butchered.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Well its tomorrow.... Girls JV, 10th A & B.... didnt go as perfect as I had hoped, but it wasnt a total disaster either. Home team gets jump ball; fails to score, visitors rebound and drive for score.. Home team blocks shot, all ball and partner calls foul on home team... that is when it started Visitors second possession, same situation, all ball, foul, Home coach goes ballistic. That set the tone and the home crowd rode us the rest of the night. I believe the calling improved, but the crowd was not happy with anything we called. I stayed for the Varsity game to see if they called it differently regarding fouls and to watch how experienced officials work. They called it the same as we did, but didnt get the same crowd remarks. So here are the things I take away from the game that I need to improve on:
1 Better communication with partner (several minor issues that made us look bad)
2. Posture / solid calling & reporting
3. Bonus administration (this one bites: my partner, lead, called a foul, I didnt catch the player that was fouled, we inbound and are informed of bonus situation... yep, you guessed it... who is going to shoot? curses!!!)
4. Study the rules, AGAIN!
5. Communication with partner!!

For my first School game ever, I think it was positive.... at least I am not going to give up just yet.
Love that you've got a list to work on - sounds a lot like most "first games" in that there are pieces that just don't work well, and others that work very well. Communication and confidence will go a long way to cleaning things up.

One thing you'll notice as you work, (at least this is true from my experience) is that the lower the level, the more hostile the crowd will be. Just tune them out!
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Did I see a boxscore with Bhuck? I assume that it was Chuck's name butchered.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=273152514
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Opener last night: JV/V double header. No problems, but lots of fouls called. I don't like how the game gets more and more physical every year and how sloppy physical play just drains you.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

It couldve been worse....
Linky