The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Odd out of bounds plays?

I've thought up a couple odd out of bounds plays...

1. After a made basket, A will be inbounding the ball. We all know that if two players are out of bounds on the endline they can pass the ball to one another (until the 5 second count expires). However, can A1 throw a BOUNCE PASS to A2? The bounce pass remains entirely OUT OF BOUNDS. Legal?

2. Can a player who is inbounding the ball dribble it (assuming the dribble is completely out of bounds)?

3. Can you have two players out of bounds on a throw in pass the ball anywhere or just under the basket? In other words, could they line up on the sideline and do this? If the throw in spot is at mid-court, could they pass back (out of bounds) to a teammate standing (out of bounds) at the free throw line extended?

Never seen any of this happen and I can't find it anywhere in the rule book.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144

1. After a made basket, A will be inbounding the ball. We all know that if two players are out of bounds on the endline they can pass the ball to one another (until the 5 second count expires). However, can A1 throw a BOUNCE PASS to A2? The bounce pass remains entirely OUT OF BOUNDS. Legal?

2. Can a player who is inbounding the ball dribble it (assuming the dribble is completely out of bounds)?

3. Can you have two players out of bounds on a throw in pass the ball anywhere or just under the basket? In other words, could they line up on the sideline and do this? If the throw in spot is at mid-court, could they pass back (out of bounds) to a teammate standing (out of bounds) at the free throw line extended?

1 = Yes
2 = Yes
3 = You have a violation on the offense here - you can't have two players out of bounds other than on the end line following a made basket....all others are designated spot throw ins...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Answers are in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144

Yes, it is only illegal for the THROW-IN PASS to contact the OOB area on its way into the court. The OOB pass to a teammate behind the end line may touch the floor OOB.

2. Can a player who is inbounding the ball dribble it (assuming the dribble is completely out of bounds)?Yes, case play 9.2.2 Sit D.

3. Can you have two players out of bounds on a throw in pass the ball anywhere or just under the basket? In other words, could they line up on the sideline and do this? If the throw in spot is at mid-court, could they pass back (out of bounds) to a teammate standing (out of bounds) at the free throw line extended? No teammate of the thrower may be OOB during a designated-spot throw-in. (9-2-11) They can only be OOB for an end line throw-in following a made or awarded goal.

Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
1 = Yes
2 = Yes
3 = You have a violation on the offense here - you can't have two players out of bounds other than on the end line following a made basket....all others are designated spot throw ins...
What rule says they can't be OOB on the sideline during a non-spot throwin? They just can't touch the ball while OOB.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What rule says they can't be OOB on the sideline during a non-spot throwin? They just can't touch the ball while OOB.
His question indicates that the throw-in is at mid-court. Therefore, it would be a designated spot throw-in.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
His question indicates that the throw-in is at mid-court. Therefore, it would be a designated spot throw-in.
Well now, you're correct. I read it too quickly.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leaving the court for an un-authorized reason, don't have the cite with me...I assume you are talking about a teammate of the player inbounding the ball?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leaving the court for an un-authorized reason, don't have the cite with me...I assume you are talking about a teammate of the player inbounding the ball?
Never really thought about that, but a player going OOB anywhere but the end-line during an end-line throw-in could be called for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never really thought about that, but a player going OOB anywhere but the end-line during an end-line throw-in could be called for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason...
you would be correct....other than the inbounder obviously...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Only if you'd call it while the ball is live in bounds. IOW, if a player cuts hard to the sideline and over runs the sideline trying to stop, no call.
If, however, he steps out of bounds as some sort of designed play you've probably got a call here. I was thinking about the same thing earlier, trying to figure if it worked here or not.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...other than the inbounder obviously...
Well, the inbounder couldn't be OOB on the sideline anyway, unless he/she had to go retrieve the ball there. And all 5 members of Team A could be OOB on the end-line, just not on the sideline.

When someone actually calls this, please come post. That will be a fun day.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only if you'd call it while the ball is live in bounds. IOW, if a player cuts hard to the sideline and over runs the sideline trying to stop, no call.
If, however, he steps out of bounds as some sort of designed play you've probably got a call here. I was thinking about the same thing earlier, trying to figure if it worked here or not.
Sure, it would have to be the same way. I'm only calling it if the player really leaves the court. Trying to get open, cutting, and stepping on the sideline doesn't meet my definition of "...leave the floor..."
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, the inbounder couldn't be OOB on the sideline anyway, unless he/she had to go retrieve the ball there. And all 5 members of Team A could be OOB on the end-line, just not on the sideline.

When someone actually calls this, please come post. That will be a fun day.
when somebody calls what, a violation for leaving for an unauthorized reason?? i have called this a ton of times, although i don't think i have ever seen two players out of bounds on a sideline throw-in...not sure why they would do this?

what do you mean the inbounder couldn't be OOB on the sideline? where else would they be??
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Snaqwells]Only if you'd call it while the ball is live in bounds.

in bounds? i thought it only needed to be a live ball situation...if it needed to be in bounds then we would not have a violation during a spot throw in when a teammate is out of bounds...which we do i believe?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...if it needed to be in bounds then we would not have a violation during a spot throw in when a teammate is out of bounds...
Actually, that is a separate rules violation: 9-2-11: No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated-spot throw-in begins.