The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

players/bench personnel during timeout

I know that intermission means both half-time and at the quarter breaks and that all players become bench personnel during those intermissions such that techs become indirects to the coach as well

I saw a case play, 4.34.1, that talks about how during a time out the former players on the court are considered players and not bench personnel; not sure that works in reality; I am not always sure what 10 players were on the court going into a time out; additionally, there are often lots of substitutions during the timeout; subs usually become players when they walk onto the floor as beckoned; so how does it work when some kid has been in and then is standing in the huddle and turns around and tells me I am doing a terrible job; what should be my thought process for deciding whether he is bench personnel or not? how do I know if he is currently still in the game? any thoughts?
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
I know that intermission means both half-time and at the quarter breaks and that all players become bench personnel during those intermissions such that techs become indirects to the coach as well

I saw a case play, 4.34.1, that talks about how during a time out the former players on the court are considered players and not bench personnel; not sure that works in reality; I am not always sure what 10 players were on the court going into a time out; additionally, there are often lots of substitutions during the timeout; subs usually become players when they walk onto the floor as beckoned; so how does it work when some kid has been in and then is standing in the huddle and turns around and tells me I am doing a terrible job; what should be my thought process for deciding whether he is bench personnel or not? how do I know if he is currently still in the game? any thoughts?
tell him he's a horrible player, and every time he misses a shot you should yell "you're supposed to make that!!!".
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Technical foul in all situations. So what we are dealing with is whether to call an indirect on the coach also. My take on 3-3-3 is if he was in the game when the time out was called he is a player until his replacement (substitute) legally enters the court.

I wouldn't waste the time out by blowing the T right away. After the time out I would also have a better idea if he was a player or bench personnel. Meanwhile, I would communicate what had happened with my partner and at the conclusion of the time out inform the coach and call the T.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ther's a case play about fighting (subs enter and fight, but we don't know who they were entering for) that says to "penalize to the maximum" -- so that's what I'd do here. If we don't know whether a tema member was a player, then s/he's bench personnel and the coach gets an indirect.