The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
IMO it doesn't matter whether it is 9-2-3 or 9-2-11. Either way it is a throw-in violation and according to the 9-2 PENALTY (section 2) the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw in at the original throw-in spot.
Uh, if you're talking about my revised case, you're incorrect. One is an only OOB violation. The real question is not attempting to address whether to call the violation on A2 for being OOB during a spot throwin (clearly this happens before anything else and there is no complication). The real question that needs to be answered is what to call when A2 is legally OOB (but also touching inbounds) when they catch a thrown ball on the OOB side of the throwin plane. You've got three choices: (1) OOB violation on A2, (2) Throwin violation for A2 catching the ball on the OOB side of the throwin plane, and (3) throwin violation for A2 carrying the throwin onto the court (A2 is a thrower who should have been entirely OOB).

All are violations that give B the ball, but #1 and #3, give them the ball at the point of the touch where the other is the point of the throw.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
As Howard says, "Call me when you call that one." IOW, I'm gonna spend my energy worrying about other more likely difficulties.
I'm actually quite happy for you to feel that way! For as rare as this is likely to be (but not really that improbable) there can be other things more worthty spending effort and thought on.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
IMO it doesn't matter whether it is 9-2-3 or 9-2-11. Either way it is a throw-in violation and according to the 9-2 PENALTY (section 2) the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw in at the original throw-in spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Uh, if you're talking about my revised case, you're incorrect.
I was addressing the OP here. Your revised situation does change things.

Quote:
OK, let's modify the play a little bit to isolate the real question that is being asked in this thread:
A1 steps OOB for a throw-in following a made goal by B. A1 passes the ball on the OOB side of the boundary plane to the corner of the court where A2 catches the ball while it is still on the OOB side of the boundary plane. A2 also has one foot inbounds and one foot touching the OOB line (but on the side line).
This play removes the issue of the player being OOB during the throwin and makes it a question solely about whether catching the ball before it crosses the line takes precedence over catching the ball while the player has OOB status.
A2's OOB location could just as well be the endline but then that would introduce the possibility of A1 trying to pass to A2 for a legal throwin but A2 didn't get all the way OOB....so I wanted to eliminate that from the equation:
Quote:
You've got three choices: (1) OOB violation on A2.
While this would be a violation it is not correct because it is not the first violation. If the ball was caught on the inbounds side of the court this would be a correct answer.

Quote:
(3) throwin violation for A2 carrying the throwin onto the court (A2 is a thrower who should have been entirely OOB).
This is not correct because A2 is not out of bounds for the purpose of a throw-in, so he can't carry the ball onto the court because he is not a thrower. He is OOB by virtue of having a foot being on the boundary line when he caught the ball.

Quote:
(2) Throwin violation for A2 catching the ball on the OOB side of the throwin plane, and.
This is the first violation. My rationale is found in 7-5-7a. Any player may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line. Now since this is not a direct inbounds pass and the ball is already OOB it must imply that the teammate must be outside the boundary. The 7-5-7 exception would not apply because A2 is not outside the boundary. He is inbounds and is touching the boundary with one foot when the ball is caught. Therefore 9-2-3 would apply. The ball was caught while the ball was on the OOB side of the boundary.

TWEET, and the ball is put into play at the spot of the original throw-in.