The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Frankly Camron, I really don't care. There's a violation in there somewhere. I'm blowing my whistle, giving the ball to B, and getting on with the game. This scenario just constitutes overthinking, IMO.
...and switching the arrow if the throw-in happened to be an AP throw-in.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Frankly Camron, I really don't care. There's a violation in there somewhere. I'm blowing my whistle, giving the ball to B, and getting on with the game. This scenario just constitutes overthinking, IMO.
Juulie's right (as usual). I don't care if you call it a balk or icing, blow the damn whistle and get on with the game. Yeah - like some coach is going to know the intricacies of the rules down to this level.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I don't care if you call it a balk or icing,
Does the TBA have a special mechanic for those calls? Gotta get it right, if I"m gonna be working with you!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie's right (as usual). I don't care if you call it a balk or icing, blow the damn whistle and get on with the game. Yeah - like some coach is going to know the intricacies of the rules down to this level.
Agree with the above but like questions like this...makes you think and keeps me coming back to visit the site. There are a lot of topics on here that you could make up an answer to and no one would be the wiser...I think it's the effort of most who post here to be "correct" on rules and interpretations that makes it fun to post and read here.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the difference in the throwin spot could matter....2 seconds to go in a 1 point game and the team getting the ball is the team down by one. Do they want the ball literally in the corner (the hardest place form which to make a throwin) or at the FT lane extended...perhaps on the other side where they have a great play to run. The one you chose could have a dramatic impact.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
But the difference in the throwin spot could matter....2 seconds to go in a 1 point game and the team getting the ball is the team down by one. Do they want the ball literally in the corner (the hardest place form which to make a throwin) or at the FT lane extended...perhaps on the other side where they have a great play to run. The one you chose could have a dramatic impact.
As Howard says, "Call me when you call that one." IOW, I'm gonna spend my energy worrying about other more likely difficulties.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where does B get the ball for the throw-in?

What if there's 1.5 seconds left in a tie game? Would it then matter where B gets the throw-in?

I think there's really no discussion on whether it's a violation, it's just which type of violation, and therefore, where is the ball put in play.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Dang it, Cameron types faster than me.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
This is exactly the point. You can't say "who cares just put the ball in" if you don't know where to put the ball in. Does it always make a huge difference to the game? No. Might it eventually make a huge difference to the game? Yes. Does it always make sense to know where the ball goes regardless of whether it makes any difference to the game? I think so.

edit...I get third place!!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Howard says, "Call me when you call that one." IOW, I'm gonna spend my energy worrying about other more likely difficulties.
Interesting topic discussion, but Julie is right.

And if it comes down to 1.5 seconds left in the McDonald's All_American super bowl of basketball, nationally televised game, with hundreds of millions watching, and a 7th grade "C" coach's job is on the line......I'll defer to whatever my partner calls.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I certainly understand this sentiment and agree that this particular situation isn't very likely.

However, just as the NFHS test is tough because of the situations and how it requires you to actually know the rule, these posts are what make this board interesting and worth coming to. I know for me (and I've been absent since last spring until recently) I love this forum just because of these discussions. Not because I think I'll face this particular situation, but because understanding how to think through this situation and others like it help regardless of what scenario unfolds.

That, and is the board really so crazy-full of info and fast-moving threads that we can't have a meaningless, overly-analytical discussion?!?
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Day late and a dollar short to this discussion, and don't know if this helps or not since this case doesn't specify that the inbounds pass remains OOB, but here's the wording from the NFHS website:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

Hope that helps.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Not to be argumentative, but it could matter a lot when determining where to give B their throw-in...
IMO it doesn't matter whether it is 9-2-3 or 9-2-11. Either way it is a throw-in violation and according to the 9-2 PENALTY (section 2) the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw in at the original throw-in spot.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
IMO it doesn't matter whether it is 9-2-3 or 9-2-11. Either way it is a throw-in violation and according to the 9-2 PENALTY (section 2) the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw in at the original throw-in spot.
Now that I'll agree with.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
Day late and a dollar short to this discussion, and don't know if this helps or not since this case doesn't specify that the inbounds pass remains OOB, but here's the wording from the NFHS website:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

Hope that helps.
And now this has me re-thinking the entire thread - how can A1 be standing OOB when he/she received the ball and not have already violated?

Argh.