The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

I have:
1- travel (defender "must" have two hands on the ball)
2- travel
3- legal play (team or player control ends on an attempted shot for goal)
4- I have a FIBA casebook (2004 version) issued in New Zealand written by F. Horgan, cheers
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Both hands on the ball are not required see 12.2.1

Held ball situations......one OR both hands

BTW 2004 'casebook'/interpretations from 2004 may not be valid since the rule changes in 2006!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 08:11am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
3) although the shot attempt has ended the player is still considered an airborne shooter until both feet are on the floor again.

Smoke,

Think about what your saying. It can't be both. Either the shot attempt has ended or it hasn't ended.

Team control ends on the release, not the shot attempt (which in proper terms is the act of shooting), at least not when the shooter is airborne.

Also, I have the 2006 FIBA Casebook in front of me. It says published by FIBA. For copies, contact the publisher at:
FIBA
Chemin de Blandonnet 8
PO Box 715
CH-1214 Vernier
Geneva
Switzerland

Thanks Jay, I understand what your saying and like what was stated already it does really only apply for fouls after the shot has been released.

I still am having a hard time with the fact that the offense released the ball on purpose and then recovered the ball all while airborne. I guess if it was really an athletic move I might just have to consider giving him/her a break for the effort.....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:18am.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still am having a hard time with the fact that the offense released the ball on purpose and then recovered the ball all while airborne.
You're assuming the player released the ball on purpose. It think the OP just says "lets go of ball". This could easily have been because the block attempt jarred the ball loose.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I understand that it's largely trivial, but the description "let go of the ball" to me sounds like a purposeful act. For an act not intended, the description is better served being "the ball was knocked out of his hands".
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:17am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
You're assuming the player released the ball on purpose. It think the OP just says "lets go of ball". This could easily have been because the block attempt jarred the ball loose.
You are correct I am making that assumption. Without actually seeing the play develop I picture it as the player knows the shot is going to be blocked or is partially blocked and adjusts in the air, releases the ball, then catches it again all before landing on the floor.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You are correct I am making that assumption. Without actually seeing the play develop I picture it as the player knows the shot is going to be blocked or is partially blocked and adjusts in the air, releases the ball, then catches it again all before landing on the floor.
That's a travel under any rule set; whether he catches it before or after landing wouldn't matter.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA Rule

Under FIBA rules......,

If a player/shooter releases the ball, it is checked by a defender, and the same airborne shooter catches the ball in the air, and returns to the floor, it IS a legal play.

..............or have I missed the point?

..............which is possible, it is late here in Europe!!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyref11
Under FIBA rules......,

If a player/shooter releases the ball, it is checked by a defender, and the same airborne shooter catches the ball in the air, and returns to the floor, it IS a legal play.

..............or have I missed the point?

..............which is possible, it is late here in Europe!!
The question was slightly different: the defender touches the ball before the release. Now, if the release is a shot, no problem; it can be a fumble, no problem again: catching the ball is legal. It could be something else: judgment call.

The theory that a fumble is related only to dribbling is wrong; the rules say explicitly that fumbles at the start or end of a dribble are not dribbles, but don't say that a fumble can happen only at those times. Read 24.1.2.

Ciao