The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Interrupted Dribble Three Seconds ???

Can a three second violation be called during an interrupted dribble (NFHS)?

Rule Book and/or Case Book citation please.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

My answer is YES by rule, but I would not call it immediately during an interrupted dribble.

Rule 9-7
A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.

No other allowance that I am aware of.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-something (somewhere in the "t" section ) states that team control does not end during an interrupted dribble.

So, technically, yes it can be called although I'm wondering what the practical application of the rule is by most people.

After the whole pre-game dunk T convo I'm scared to find out!!!
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

2002-03 rule change.
Three second restrictions remain in effect during an interrupted dribble (9-7): This rule change deletes the requirement for the three-second count to be terminated during an interrupted dribble. By rule, team control remains in effect during an interrupted dribble, therefore the three-second restrictions should still apply. Also, by definition, an interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is "loose." Team control continues (as does the three-second restriction) during a loose ball. Therefore, the rules applying to a loose ball and an interrupted dribble should be the same.

The sentence in the 2001-02 book which was deleted was "The count shall not begin or it shall be terminated during an interrupted dribble."

If you weren't officiating back then there is no way that you could know this from looking at the current rules book.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho
Rule 4-something (somewhere in the "t" section ) states that team control does not end during an interrupted dribble.

So, technically, yes it can be called although I'm wondering what the practical application of the rule is by most people.

After the whole pre-game dunk T convo I'm scared to find out!!!
I started to write a long explanation as to Advantage / disadvantage... but decided I would wait.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Well done Nevada... and I am one of those newbies that would not have known.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Well done Nevada... and I am one of those newbies that would not have known.
You should get a copy of the NFHS Basketball Handbook, if you don't already have one. The latest version that I have is from 2002-04. There is a section in the front titled "Chronology of Basketball Rules" which lists the major changes and modifications. It makes for an interesting read.

The three-second change is listed under 2002.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I do not have that book but I will make a point to order it.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

From Nevadaref: "2002-03 rule change. Three second restrictions remain in effect during an interrupted dribble (9-7): This rule change deletes the requirement for the three-second count to be terminated during an interrupted dribble. By rule, team control remains in effect during an interrupted dribble, therefore the three-second restrictions should still apply. Also, by definition, an interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is "loose." Team control continues (as does the three-second restriction) during a loose ball. Therefore, the rules applying to a loose ball and an interrupted dribble should be the same."

From Splute: "Advantage / disadvantage"

I certainly understand Splute's point about advantage/disadvantage, from a realistic officiating viewpoint, but this question came up in a strictly "by the book" new member training session. Our training committee has one purpose at this time, to get the new members to pass the rules test, "by the book", in a few weeks. After that, another committee prepares them for officiating in the real world.

Nevadaref: Thanks for your reply. I knew that the answer was somewhere, I remember it being discussed a few years ago, but I couldn't find it in the book anywhere. Now I know why I couldn't find it, but I don't understand why the NFHS would not continue to have this in the rule book or case book. I agree with you, "If you weren't officiating back then there is no way that you could know this from looking at the current rules book.'
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho
4-12-2 -- alphabetically it comes under "c" for Control, player and team.

This is probably the best current rule reference.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've called this. A1 dribbles into the lane, and about two seconds after he gets there, the dribble gets interrupted.

Usually, when I call 3 seconds, the player has the ball. This time, it was bouncing around and A1 was still trying to get the ball while in the lane. I gave him an extra second or so before I called it.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've called this. A1 dribbles into the lane, and about two seconds after he gets there, the dribble gets interrupted.

Usually, when I call 3 seconds, the player has the ball. This time, it was bouncing around and A1 was still trying to get the ball while in the lane. I gave him an extra second or so before I called it.
this is usually about the time that the place goes nuts and the coach pulls his hair out and screams "he didn't have control!!!".....but agreed, I have called it many times.....
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yup, coach said something about the count terminating in an I-D. I didn't get a chance to tell him we weren't playing by 2001 rules.