The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When did the dribble end?
Sometime around the middle of the third quarter.

Quote:
Where were the feet when the dribble/catch ended?
Attached to the legs.

Quote:
Did the player land on one or two feet after the dribble/catch?
One, then the other.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Did the player land on one or two feet after the dribble/catch?

One, then the other.
He's OK as long as it wasn't one, then the other, then the other!

Oh no! That actually was a Larry Craig reference!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
When did the dribble end?
Where were the feet when the dribble/catch ended?
To me, this is what makes traveling the hardest call to make. The definitions are very easy to figure out and memorize. But when the move happens in real time, it is often (especially with very athletic kids) VERY difficult to determine exactly when the dribble ended and where the foot/feet were when the dribble ended. JMHO.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:56am
Ch1town

Right Scrapper, that's all I was saying...

It's especially tough in 2 person (thank goodness I only have 6 of those assignments this season) it's close to impossible to rule correctly if you get blocked out on where the feet were when the dribble ended. I guess that's when the "no-call" is the best call.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:57am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.
Then stop calling it during warm-ups in Kansas!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

If it looks ugly then there is probably a reason & most probably the reason is that it was a travel.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
If it looks ugly then there is probably a reason & most probably the reason is that it was a travel.
Disagree. Many plays "look ugly" and that will have many fans / coaches / players politely asking for a travel, but many of those plays are legal.

Far better (imo) to miss something that happens than to call something that didn't
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with Bob. If you think it was ugly, look at the replay later and see if you missed something. But never call a travel because you think it "looked ugly." More often than not, "ugly" isn't a travel.

We're not style police.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:46pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
I don't mean to pile on, but this is the worst way to think about traveling. Lots of things that look ugly are perfectly legal. I know that there are a lot of refs who call travels based on how they looked, but that is a disservice to the ballhandler. As officials, we need to learn the rule, find the pivot foot and see the foot movement.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Disagree. Many plays "look ugly" and that will have many fans / coaches / players politely asking for a travel, but many of those plays are legal.

Far better (imo) to miss something that happens than to call something that didn't
I'm not suggesting that one call an ugly play a violation. I'm saying that if it looks ugly it bears watching to determine if there is a violation. I would never blow a play I thought was a violation. I only call what I am sure is a violation and even then sometimes make mistakes.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the legality of the "one two" stop depends on when the dribble was picked up. If the dribble is picked up with one foot still on the ground and that foot is used for the hop leading to the jump stop, pivoting is not allowed, and the sloppy "one two" landing would be considered a pivot. If the dribble is picked up with zero feet on the ground, the "one two" stop is allowed and the first foot that touches the floor is the pivot foot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would use a rules reference but I am at work and don't have my book with me.

I teach my kids to be deliberate and purposeful with their moves. The move they call a "pro hop" is the jump stop initiated with a foot on the ground, so they must land on two feet similtaneously and are not allowed to pivot upon landing. Good move, with restrictions upon landing. A more concerted effort to pick up the dribble while already in the air might not look as nice and takes a little more practice, but you have options to do other things upon landing.

I also teach that disregard for the difference, or being sloppy with their moves, allows for an officials interpretation of what really happened versus what they thought they were trying to do. I have found that over the past few years, I have been yelling more at my players for being sloppy on their jump stops and rarely address officials over travelling calls other than to occasionally ask which type of travel has been committed. In turn, my teams travelling violations have gone done drastically. I've actually been warned by a ref for yelling at my player "you're being sloppy, you just travelled" on a play where they scored a layup and the ref didn't call the travel (not on a jumpstop, but on a first step extend dribble where the player did not release the ball til 3 steps were taken).

just a coaches perspective on travelling. but coaches are worthless scumbags around these parts, so my 2 cents is probably more like a wooden peso.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Y2KCoach, well put. Except for that last worthless sentence.