The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sloppy jump-stop?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39162-sloppy-jump-stop.html)

Vinski Fri Oct 26, 2007 09:51am

Sloppy jump-stop??

If I understand correctly, a legal jump-stop is executed when the offensive player dribbling in, picks up his dribble then leaps off one foot and then lands with both feet on the floor at the same time. However, I’m seeing more and more of these being attempted with one foot landing before the other. It looks kind of like a gallop. Wouldn’t that be a travel? I never see it getting called and the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.

Rich Fri Oct 26, 2007 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski
If I understand correctly, a legal jump-stop is executed when the offensive player dribbling in, picks up his dribble then leaps off one foot and then lands with both feet on the floor at the same time. However, I’m seeing more and more of these being attempted with one foot landing before the other. It looks kind of like a gallop. Wouldn’t that be a travel? I never see it getting called and the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.

I call this every time it happens. I don't hear "groans."

rainmaker Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02am

Quote:

the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.

"Yes, I do know the jump-stop move, both legal and illegal."

Adam Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:02am

I call it too. I had one coach look at me like I was stupid when i called it. I looked at him (across the court) and took two steps in place to show him what happened. He understood.

Splute Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:05am

Quote:

If you determined the Pivot foot is established at the time he leaps; then the "tap, tap" would be traveling if the ball is not released before the pivot foot goes "tap". IMO you must take into account the level of play you are calling. I recommend watching the players during warmups to see if they make this same move. If most of them are, you may have a long night of travels and groans if you call it.

Vinski Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I call it too. I had one coach look at me like I was stupid when i called it. I looked at him (across the court) and took two steps in place to show him what happened. He understood.

I like that, Snaq. Mind if I use it.

psujaye Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07am

If the dribbler lands on 1 foot and its the same foot they jumped off of, I believe it is a travel. If they land on the opposite foot, I considered it to be a 'big' first step. if they land on both feet, they must either keep both feet on the ground or jump off both feet.

Adam Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07am

Quote:

Not at all, but no guarantees that it will work.

Adam Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by psujaye
If the dribbler lands on 1 foot and its the same foot they jumped off of, I believe it is a travel. If they land on the opposite foot, I considered it to be a 'big' first step. if they land on both feet, they must either keep both feet on the ground or jump off both feet.

Incorrect. They may raise either or both feet but may not place any foot back on the floor after it's been raised.

psujaye Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Incorrect. They may raise either or both feet but may not place any foot back on the floor after it's been raised.

you're right; good catch.

tomegun Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:14am

Quote:

I would pass on the mindset that you need to give a visual example of what you called. I can't imagine that looking too good on tape.

Vinski Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:15am

When the poorly executed jump-stop happens, what do think about while giving the traveling mechanic, the official would also call out “illegal jump-stop”?

Splute Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
I would pass on the mindset that you need to give a visual example of what you called. I can't imagine that looking too good on tape.

Sure it does and when the other Refs join in it makes an awesome line dance!!:D
seriously, this is just a small jester, imo, if it gets the coach to move on and avoid conversation, thats a good thing.

Ch1town Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:28am

Quote:

When the poorly executed jump-stop happens, what do think about while giving the traveling mechanic, the official would also call out “illegal jump-stop”?

While giving the push or hold signal for an (excuse me) over the back call do we say "over the back"?
I think the travelling signal lets everyone know the "jump stop" was illegal just as the push/hold signal lets everyone know "over the back" has been called.

JMO, after carefully reading 4-44 it seems as though a few factors have to be judged before ruling on a legal or illegal "jump-stop".

When did the dribble end?
Where were the feet when the dribble/catch ended?
Did the player land on one or two feet after the dribble/catch?

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
If you determined the Pivot foot is established at the time he leaps; then the "tap, tap" would be traveling if the ball is not released before the pivot foot goes "tap".

Is this another Larry Craig reference? http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...ges/toetap.gif