The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Sloppy jump-stop??

If I understand correctly, a legal jump-stop is executed when the offensive player dribbling in, picks up his dribble then leaps off one foot and then lands with both feet on the floor at the same time. However, I’m seeing more and more of these being attempted with one foot landing before the other. It looks kind of like a gallop. Wouldn’t that be a travel? I never see it getting called and the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
If I understand correctly, a legal jump-stop is executed when the offensive player dribbling in, picks up his dribble then leaps off one foot and then lands with both feet on the floor at the same time. However, I’m seeing more and more of these being attempted with one foot landing before the other. It looks kind of like a gallop. Wouldn’t that be a travel? I never see it getting called and the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.
I call this every time it happens. I don't hear "groans."
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
the times I’ve called it, I hear the groanings that I don’t know the jump-stop move.
"Yes, I do know the jump-stop move, both legal and illegal."
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I call it too. I had one coach look at me like I was stupid when i called it. I looked at him (across the court) and took two steps in place to show him what happened. He understood.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you determined the Pivot foot is established at the time he leaps; then the "tap, tap" would be traveling if the ball is not released before the pivot foot goes "tap". IMO you must take into account the level of play you are calling. I recommend watching the players during warmups to see if they make this same move. If most of them are, you may have a long night of travels and groans if you call it.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I call it too. I had one coach look at me like I was stupid when i called it. I looked at him (across the court) and took two steps in place to show him what happened. He understood.
I like that, Snaq. Mind if I use it.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If the dribbler lands on 1 foot and its the same foot they jumped off of, I believe it is a travel. If they land on the opposite foot, I considered it to be a 'big' first step. if they land on both feet, they must either keep both feet on the ground or jump off both feet.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not at all, but no guarantees that it will work.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
If the dribbler lands on 1 foot and its the same foot they jumped off of, I believe it is a travel. If they land on the opposite foot, I considered it to be a 'big' first step. if they land on both feet, they must either keep both feet on the ground or jump off both feet.
Incorrect. They may raise either or both feet but may not place any foot back on the floor after it's been raised.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Incorrect. They may raise either or both feet but may not place any foot back on the floor after it's been raised.
you're right; good catch.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:14am
Huck Finn

Quote:
I would pass on the mindset that you need to give a visual example of what you called. I can't imagine that looking too good on tape.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

When the poorly executed jump-stop happens, what do think about while giving the traveling mechanic, the official would also call out “illegal jump-stop”?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would pass on the mindset that you need to give a visual example of what you called. I can't imagine that looking too good on tape.
Sure it does and when the other Refs join in it makes an awesome line dance!!
seriously, this is just a small jester, imo, if it gets the coach to move on and avoid conversation, thats a good thing.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:28am
Ch1town

Quote:
When the poorly executed jump-stop happens, what do think about while giving the traveling mechanic, the official would also call out “illegal jump-stop”?
While giving the push or hold signal for an (excuse me) over the back call do we say "over the back"?
I think the travelling signal lets everyone know the "jump stop" was illegal just as the push/hold signal lets everyone know "over the back" has been called.

JMO, after carefully reading 4-44 it seems as though a few factors have to be judged before ruling on a legal or illegal "jump-stop".

When did the dribble end?
Where were the feet when the dribble/catch ended?
Did the player land on one or two feet after the dribble/catch?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
If you determined the Pivot foot is established at the time he leaps; then the "tap, tap" would be traveling if the ball is not released before the pivot foot goes "tap".
Is this another Larry Craig reference?