The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control/Loose Ball/Interrupted Dribble

question- i don't have my rule book but i noticed something during our rules meeting last night;

this isn't word for word, but team control continues when a player is in control, when passing among teammates, and during an interrupted dribble. The definition of an interrupted dribble seemed to omit a situation where A1 is dribbling and B1 knocks the ball loose. If I remember correctly, it defined it as if A1 is dribbling and they lose control on their own (i.e. off of their foot, leg..).

my question: Bonus situation for both teams. A1 is dribbling (team control). B1 knocks the ball loose and A1 then fouls B1 while they both scramble for the ball. Is this a team control foul (i.e. no bonus FTs for B1)? If B1 fouls in the same situation, A1 would get bonus FTs.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Team control continues until:
1. a shot is released.
2. the ball becomes dead.
3. The other team gains control.

That's it. Once team control is gained, it continues until one of the three things above happens.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:11pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
question- i don't have my rule book but i noticed something during our rules meeting last night;

this isn't word for word, but team control continues when a player is in control, when passing among teammates, and during an interrupted dribble. The definition of an interrupted dribble seemed to omit a situation where A1 is dribbling and B1 knocks the ball loose. If I remember correctly, it defined it as if A1 is dribbling and they lose control on their own (i.e. off of their foot, leg..).

my question: Bonus situation for both teams. A1 is dribbling (team control). B1 knocks the ball loose and A1 then fouls B1 while they both scramble for the ball. Is this a team control foul (i.e. no bonus FTs for B1)? If B1 fouls in the same situation, A1 would get bonus FTs.
4.12.3.b: Until an opponent secures control.
4.12.4: (paraphrased) ...a loose ball always remains in control of the team whose player last had control...

Still an interrupted dribble until that point. Team control foul on A. If b fouls its a common foul with bonus.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Still an interrupted dribble until that point.
I agree that team control continues, but is it still an interrupted dribble? The original post says that a defender bats the ball away. Doesn't that end the dribble?
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:28pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I agree that team control continues, but is it still an interrupted dribble? The original post says that a defender bats the ball away. Doesn't that end the dribble?
Good question. 4.15.4.d states the dribble ENDS when touched by an opponent and causes the dribbler to lose control. You appear to be correct. Team control still stays with Team A, however, until B secures it.

Good catch.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

The dribble ends when the opponent knocks the ball away. However a loose ball always remains in control of the same team as long as the ball is live, unless there is a shot or tip. 4-12-4 unless
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is NOT an interrupted dribble. When the defense slaps the ball away, the dribble has ended. It is not interrupted.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 04:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
This is NOT an interrupted dribble. When the defense slaps the ball away, the dribble has ended. It is not interrupted.
I know. I was trying to make the point without sounding rulesier-than-thou.