The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
According to the scholars German is not a Romance language -- meaning derived from Latin, such as Italian and Spanish. Germanic is its own branch, and English is said to come from that.
I agree with you. But, I'm not going to argue that with a Gothic German Redneck Army chick.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I find it amazing a varsity level official did this. At the first timeout I would politely ask all three of them to come over and ASK them why it was called. Don't TELL them they were wrong. If he says, "He stepped outside the 3-foot area with both feet" then you have no issue, but you might want to remind them there is no traveling on an inbounds. If he says he moved backwards, then ask his partners if they agree. In the unlikely event they ALL think it's a violation, I would explain that it's not. Then thank them.
This might not be a varsity official. Since the OP is located in northern VA, this game would have to be either a rec league or possibly a scrimmage of some type, and the official(s) might be sub-varsity. Happens all the time during scrimmages. The scholastic season doesn't start here until late Nov (don't know the exact date).
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

If I'm the coach, and it's a critical point in the game, I call timeout and ask the calling official what he called. Most likely, the calling official will quote the proper rule and the infraction simply wasn't seen by the coach. If the official doesn't know the rule, ask for a conference with his partner(s). If they determine that an error had been made, they MIGHT give you the ball back and if you're really lucky, they might not charge the timeout.

If this situation happened in my game, I would use my elastic power to overturn the call and give the team the ball back, and I would most likely ask the coach if he still wanted the TO. I would then bring the coaches together, explain the situation and resume play. In my opinion, we have an obligation to get plays right and be fair, it is a cop out when a situation is fixable to say, "Sorry coach, we screwed up, but we're going with it anyhow." Common sense is key here.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
If this situation happened in my game, I would use my elastic power to overturn the call and give the team the ball back, and I would most likely ask the coach if he still wanted the TO.
What elastic power?

Have you got a rules citation that overrules the language of rule 2-6?

You can tell the calling official that he screwed up. You can ask him to change his call. If he doesn't want to change it though, no one has any elastic powers to make him do so, including the R.

I agree that you should try your best (away from everybody but the officials) to get your partner to change his (wrong) call, but if he doesn't want to, then we just suffer.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:50am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
From the coaching standpoint, you can ask questions - but I don't think it will do you much good. If the official doesn't know the rule, you aren't going to change his/her mind by arguing...

Looking at it from a little different perspective, I find it hard to classify this mistake or mis-application as "egregious"...just doesn't seem like it's all that earth-shattering to be labeled that way...
Agreed, only if it occurs during a critical part of the game

Thx
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Any coach that can use the word "egregious" in a sentence...I'll listen to them
Nowadays I just masquerade as a coach. I left the ranks of AAU coaching several years back and took a pay cut to start a career in officiating. It is only since that time that I have been blessed with a vocabulary that includes egregious as well as other such elusive terms as 'displacement', 'continuous motion', 'interrupted dribble', 'fumble', 'intentional foul', 'advantage/disadvantage' and other vernacular that oftentimes still seem foreign to my calling partners.

Still working to fully assimilate 'over-the-back', 'reaching in' and the infamous 'ON THE FLOOR' !!!!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
This might not be a varsity official. Since the OP is located in northern VA, this game would have to be either a rec league or possibly a scrimmage of some type, and the official(s) might be sub-varsity. Happens all the time during scrimmages. The scholastic season doesn't start here until late Nov (don't know the exact date).
Dblref:

Not trying to impugn any CBOA members, this is just a hypothetical to engender discussion.

Thx
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:00am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
Nowadays I just masquerade as a coach. I left the ranks of AAU coaching several years back and took a pay cut to start a career in officiating. It is only since that time that I have been blessed with a vocabulary that includes egregious as well as other such elusive terms as 'displacement', 'continuous motion', 'interrupted dribble', 'fumble', 'intentional foul', 'advantage/disadvantage' and other vernacular that oftentimes still seem foreign to my calling partners.

Still working to fully assimilate 'over-the-back', 'reaching in' and the infamous 'ON THE FLOOR' !!!!

LOL! This is my nomination for "post of the week"!!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
LOL! This is my nomination for "post of the week"!!
I second the nomination!!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I think you are over-reacting if you label this call egregious.

My God--is this the way you react to every call you disagree with? If it was a mistake on the official's part, I would not get worked up over it unless it cost you the chance to win the game.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34
My God--is this the way you react to every call you disagree with? If it was a mistake on the official's part, I would not get worked up over it unless it cost you the chance to win the game.
QED

What made you think anyone got worked up?

It was indeed egregious on several levels;i.e;, the point in the game and that a V level official could bugger the puppy on such a basic call and use an improper mechanic on a bogus call
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

What about "and-1"?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:43pm

nomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I second the nomination!!
I respectfully decline. OS may chime in with a more deserving post at any minute. Do you really think he can resist the temptation to inject his unique orthography to 'egregious'? I am sure he can also guide us on the proper mechanic for 'over-the-back' and the circumstances that lead to 'On the floor'
Nah, I must really defer on this honor in the absence of the man who literally oozes with more deserving material.

BTW, what happened to the esteemed Old Skool??
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 12:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What about "and-1"?
Wonderful shoes...
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I respectfully decline. OS may chime in with a more deserving post at any minute. Do you really think he can resist the temptation to inject his unique orthography to 'egregious'? I am sure he can also guide us on the proper mechanic for 'over-the-back' and the circumstances that lead to 'On the floor'
Nah, I must really defer on this honor in the absence of the man who literally oozes with more deserving material.

BTW, what happened to the esteemed Old Skool??
sssshhhhhhh..... he is in timeout. Dont wake him up