The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:49am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Egregious mis-application of a rule

Here's the sitch...

HS Varsity game. Fed rules in effect.

OOB throw-in at division line. Thrower retreats straight backwards into open floor space to gain passing angle and avoid defensive pressure. Administering official hits whistle and signals with Travel mechanic.

What recourse does the head coach have to avoid an unwarranted loss of possession?

My first inclination is to request a time out and ask to confer with the officiating team.

What would you folks suggest as the proper protocol to follow?

What are the chances of getting a rectification?

TIA for all relevant replies, rules citations not needed, just looking for advice as to if or how to proceed.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

You would have to politely ask the official if he is sure that is the right call. You may even be able to ask if he would consider checking with his partner for some help. This is not a correctable error. This is simply a misapplication of the rules. If you lose out on a possession over this, it isn't the end of the world, but it isn't good either.
You should make sure not to take a technical foul over this. That would only hurt your team more.

I would contact whoever is in charge of your area officials and make my comments. If the official doesn't understand this fundamental, there are probably many other things that also need work.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 06:33am
In Memoriam

What Nevada said.

It's probably not worth wasting a TO either, unless you have one that you don't really need. Ask him sometime though if you get a chance. In cases like these, coaches can help us too. Maybe he might think about it and look it up after the game.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 07:30am
Lighten up, Francis.

"I'm sorry, ref, but it was my understanding that dribbling and traveling rules aren't in effect during a throw-in. What's the rule on that?"
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Isn't the space for throw in allotted a 3' wide (as long as keeping one foot in the 3' wide area) and as deep as one would like....They don't have to be right up on the side or end line on spot throw in. I'm probably not gonna alllow them to go up in the stands obviously...but if it's an area that has 8' behind it, can't they back up....
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Isn't the space for throw in allotted a 3' wide (as long as keeping one foot in the 3' wide area) and as deep as one would like....They don't have to be right up on the side or end line on spot throw in. I'm probably not gonna alllow them to go up in the stands obviously...but if it's an area that has 8' behind it, can't they back up....
i usually remind them that they can go back as far as they want if they have pressure (especially at the lower levels)...a lot of times you get a look like they have no idea what you are talking about and end up standing belly to belly with the defender anyway...i wish more coaches would teach this, glad to see that some are....doesn't really help if the officials screw it up i guess!
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I can certainly understand your frustration with this, but I have to agree that you might not want to waste a time out on this play. You may convince the official that they ruled incorrectly, but they cannot go back and change their call. A great way to handle it might be to contact the assignor with your concern so they can teach the official the correct ruling.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Bottom line is you are stuck with your refs until the end of the game (and whatever rules knowledge they have). Trying to have a corrective rules discussion by a coach with a ref during game time is like trying to put lipstick on a chicken ... if you succeed, you've drawn a very fine line.

While a game in progress is not the time to argue rule application, you could ask politely to discuss that particular application of the rule with the ref after the game. However, it is my feeling many refs will decline the invitation. If they do accept, let them know what you think the rule is and invite them to double check.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Sounds like you're pretty much stuck here. Not only did the official call a violation where there wasn't one, he called the wrong violation. You cannot have a traveling call on an inbound play. What you can have is an inbound violation. However, as stated, there wasn't one of those either on this play.

Hey - stuff happens.

Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:08am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
Here's the sitch...

HS Varsity game. Fed rules in effect.

OOB throw-in at division line. Thrower retreats straight backwards into open floor space to gain passing angle and avoid defensive pressure. Administering official hits whistle and signals with Travel mechanic.

What recourse does the head coach have to avoid an unwarranted loss of possession?

My first inclination is to request a time out and ask to confer with the officiating team.

What would you folks suggest as the proper protocol to follow?

What are the chances of getting a rectification?

TIA for all relevant replies, rules citations not needed, just looking for advice as to if or how to proceed.
I find it amazing a varsity level official did this. At the first timeout I would politely ask all three of them to come over and ASK them why it was called. Don't TELL them they were wrong. If he says, "He stepped outside the 3-foot area with both feet" then you have no issue, but you might want to remind them there is no traveling on an inbounds. If he says he moved backwards, then ask his partners if they agree. In the unlikely event they ALL think it's a violation, I would explain that it's not. Then thank them.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:32am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I find it amazing a varsity level official did this. At the first timeout I would politely ask all three of them to come over and ASK them why it was called. Don't TELL them they were wrong. If he says, "He stepped outside the 3-foot area with both feet" then you have no issue, but you might want to remind them there is no traveling on an inbounds. If he says he moved backwards, then ask his partners if they agree. In the unlikely event they ALL think it's a violation, I would explain that it's not. Then thank them.
If they said he moved backwards, this would still not be a violation as there's no depth limitation (4-42-6).

Not sure if that's what you're saying...
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

go bobby knight on them....

LOL JK

I would suggest as others to politly say your peice and leave it at that.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:46am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If they said he moved backwards, this would still not be a violation as there's no depth limitation (4-42-6).

Not sure if that's what you're saying...
I agree, it's not a violation. My point was that if the calling official says the player moved backwards and that is why he called the violation, I would let his partners correct him right there by asking them if they agree that is NOT a violation. Don't TELL the official he was wrong, just let him step in it himself.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:57am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I agree, it's not a violation. My point was that if the calling official says the player moved backwards and that is why he called the violation, I would let his partners correct him right there by asking them if they agree that is NOT a violation. Don't TELL the official he was wrong, just let him step in it himself.
Got ya.. just making sure.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

This is something I would take up with the assignor after the game.

One of the problems here is that, once again, most coaches don't know the rules either so there is usually no challenge. Maybe his partners brought it up in their post game. Unless the game is on the line, most officials are not going to throw their partner under the bus during a game & some not even then.

I'm curious about the coach's response in your situation.