The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

fight and coach enters

If two bench personnel and the coach of Team B leave bench during a fight, Team A is awarded two free throws and the ball as penalty.

I have team A shooting 2 ft's for the bp leaving the bench and 2 ft's for the coach leaving the bench == 4 ft's. Team A's ball at the divison line opposite the table. Correct?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, unless the coach was beckoned and assuming that other penalties offset.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welref
If two bench personnel and the coach of Team B leave bench during a fight, Team A is awarded two free throws and the ball as penalty.

I have team A shooting 2 ft's for the bp leaving the bench and 2 ft's for the coach leaving the bench == 4 ft's. Team A's ball at the divison line opposite the table. Correct?
Yes, the penalty section of 10-4-5 makes it clear that an additional technical foul is charged to the head coach if he is an offender.

My state has a rule that the coach can come out without being beckoned and without penalty if he is helping to break up the fight or stop the altercation. If he is out there and being a problem then the normal penalty applies.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:05pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by welref

& coach hits the showers but the two team members (bench personel) can remain seated on the bench.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
& coach hits the showers but the two team members (bench personel) can remain seated on the bench.
Bench personnel stay on the bench? I thought they were disqualified with flagrant technical fouls and tossed. I'll have to look this up in the book.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Bench personnel stay on the bench? I thought they were disqualified with flagrant technical fouls and tossed. I'll have to look this up in the book.
In high school, we don't eject players. We disqualify them. The reason for this is that we don't want teenagers left alone in a locker room or hallway without adult supervision. It's better to have them on the bench, still the head coach's responsibility, than angry, frustrated and alone in the locker room.

A player can be removed from the playing area if he/she continues to be a disruptive influence in the game. But when we do this, the player should be accompanied by an adult, I believe.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They are DQ'd, but non-adult personnel are restricted to the team bench after that. It is only adults who must leave the confines.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:26pm
Ch1town

Ejected adult bench personnel shall leave the vicinity...
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

So, basically...it's just like they got their 5th foul...I had a coach go ballistic on me yesterday when I called a PF on a player with three fouls (giving her four) and then the player got T'd by my partner for slamming the ball on the floor, giving her five and DQ'ing her. I wish coaches would actually READ the rulebook!
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Are you sure the coach hits the showers? He will have 1 direct technical and 1 indirect at this point, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t believe this is enough to eject. Wouldn’t he need one more tech to get the boot? I've never been quite sure on this.

10-4-5
ART. 5 . . . Leave the confines of the bench during a fight or when a fight may break out.

NOTE: The head coach may enter the court only if beckoned by an official.

PENALTY: (Art. 5) Flagrant foul, disqualification of individual offender, but only one technical-foul penalty is administered regardless of the number of offenders. This one foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. If the head coach is an offender, an additional flagrant technical foul is charged directly to the coach and penalized. When a simultaneous technical foul(s) by opponents occurs, the free throws are not awarded when the penalties offset.

NOTE: A single flagrant foul or the second technical foul charged to any bench personnel, other than the head coach, results in disqualification of the offender. A single flagrant foul, the second direct technical foul or the third technical (any combination of direct or indirect) charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So, basically...it's just like they got their 5th foul...I had a coach go ballistic on me yesterday when I called a PF on a player with three fouls (giving her four) and then the player got T'd by my partner for slamming the ball on the floor, giving her five and DQ'ing her. I wish coaches would actually READ the rulebook!
Some do. Most don't.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Are you sure the coach hits the showers? He will have 1 direct technical and 1 indirect at this point, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t believe this is enough to eject. Wouldn’t he need one more tech to get the boot? I've never been quite sure on this.
Coach has a single Flagrant; that's all it takes.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski

10-4-5
ART. 5 . . . Leave the confines of the bench during a fight or when a fight may break out.

NOTE: The head coach may enter the court only if beckoned by an official.

PENALTY: (Art. 5) This one foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach. If the head coach is an offender, an additional flagrant technical foul is charged directly to the coach and penalized.

NOTE: A single flagrant foul, the second direct technical foul or the third technical (any combination of direct or indirect) charged to the head coach results in disqualification and ejection.
That's why the coach hits the showers. One flagrant foul of any kind is always instant disqualification.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That's why the coach hits the showers. One flagrant foul of any kind is always instant disqualification.
Ahhhh… So it is. Thank JR. Always the careful eye. Thanks!
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
A player can be removed from the playing area if he/she continues to be a disruptive influence in the game. But when we do this, the player must be accompanied by an adult, I believe.
NFHS 10.5 (b)