The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Dallas Texas area

I started out calling under the Southwest Officials Association in 89. I noticed that the Dallas chapter has dismissed their chapter from TASO. I didn't understand the whole change from SBOA to TASO in the first place. I know the games still the same, just the players and equipment have gotten a little better. My question is to the Dallas Area guys, gals, has this caused any rif in the chapter?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

DBOA and TASO

TASO replaced SOA a number of years ago. It is an umbrella organization that includes six different sports.

The TASO basketball board, a subset of TASO, attempted to withdraw from TASO this past year but abandoned the idea when the UIL withdrew a prior commitment to sanction their new organization. The six members of the basketball board that promoted the idea of withdrawing from TASO received suspensions of up to five years.

The DBOA board, in support of the suspended members, has asked for a refund of their TASO dues for this year. The letter to TASO stated that the separation from TASO would only occur when the dues are refunded. Since this is highly unlikely, DBOA will for now remain a part of TASO.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I guess it'll save you guys some money on buying new jackets.....
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

We were told at the meeting Wednesday that because things had changed (like the lack of the LSOA and UIL recognition) we will be voting again next Wednesday to affirm the letter sent to TASO to withdraw. Also, we were told by our division rep that whatever decision is made will take effect next year because the chances of TASO giving us our money back are zero.

If anyone cares to read...some of the letters that have been going back and forth are posted on DBOA's website (http://www.dallasref.com).
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs down

Association politics. Just grand.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, the politics are much worse than what is suggested by Nathan and David's very accurate description. Its going to get worse before it gets better.

The biggest problem, and I find this often in my profession, is that the adverse sides think the other sides' motives are impure -- not just that their position is wrong. Often, one side is correct and the other side is going off incomplete or inaccurate information. That's almost certainly the case here.