The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone been to the Southwest Basketball Referees School at Rice University in Houston? The camp literature says it's catered to improving high school officials. I was thinking of going there this summer for my first camp experience (excluding our association's 3-man camp). The director Steve Ellinger(?) seems to be pretty well respected in officials circles.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Hey I'd like some more info on this camp as well. They cover two man mechanics as well?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Would like more Info!!

How about in the San Antonio or Austin areas???
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

The camp is very good for inexperienced/new officials. In fact, I attended it my first two years of officiating and it gave me a very solid foundation (I was able to get a couple Varsity Games in my third year, which I accredit in some degree to the fundamentals I learned in this camp). It concentrates mainly on two man mechanics and fundamentals of officiating. However, he does touch on 3 whistle since this is the direction the game is going.

Steve Ellinger is top drawer and has a very good teaching approach. He is the Houston Chapter rules interpreter and serves as a rep on a State Board, although the capacity that he serves in escapes me right now. I have the utmost respect for Steve as I have also worked a few games with him and learned alot during those games.

It is run in conjunction with Willis Wilson's (Rice University- Head Basketball Coach) youth basketball camp. Therefore if you are looking for high end, athletic competition to call, it won't be found here. However, these lesser skilled youth players will test your rules knowledge and skills. If you can ref this level, you can ref anything . Guest speakers usually include Willis Wilson, Local 5A Coaches (to give you a perspective of what the coaches look for) as well as D1 officials, who in some cases got their roots from Ellinger. Hope this helps, and good luck....

Yours in Hoops
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
ace,

Since you are in the greater Houston area, you might want to consider the Westside Referee Camp run by Bill Carter. It is held at an Alief high school and he has 2 and 3 person sessions during the month of June. To get more information, call 281-933-0653.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy re: SW Basketball Camps

Junkie,

This is a youth camp? Thanks for throwing a wet blanket on my plans. I really thought with the camp being in Houston (I'm in Baton Rouge, La) and only four hours away I'd have a chance to measure myself against the level of high school competition in Texas while getting good instruction. The basketball here is good, but I'm sure Greater Houston and all of Texas has a deeper talent pool. I'm very skeptical about going there now.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said, It is for the relatively new. If you are looking for upper level high school competition you want to go to a camp Associated with an AAU Tournament. Tony Stigliano has several of these. They are located in Dallas, Corpus Christie, San Antonio, College Station, and Denton (Just North of Dallas at North Texas). The competion at these is very good. Guys who work for Tony in his conferences, those aspiring to work for Tony and those who just want to get better attend from all over Texas, Louisiana Oklahoma and a few other various states. It is all 3 man. I would suggest you be comfortable with two and have some 3 man before attending. That's where Steve's camp comes in handy. If you are already there you should look at Tony's camp. The cost is affordable at about $200 tuition. Food, Lodging and Transportation is on you to get to the various game sites. You can get more information on his camps at http://www.GSOA.org

As I said the competition is very good as you will see many D1 coaches there scouting. Hope this helps.

Yours in Basketball
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

re:

Thanks. I'm familiar with the Tony Stigliano name and his GSOA. I had considered that camp as well. It sounds like it is more what I'm looking for. I'm a third-year official, and I'm not necessarily looking to get noticed by scouts or conferences (although I am available) just yet. I just want to explore other opportunities to improve and learn from others. Our association does mostly two-person mechanics, but I've gotten more comfortable this season with the three-man rotation with more experience. I'm not thinking as much as last season.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Braboa

Braboa, I think we have talked about this before, but who are you again? We work in the same association.
Ben
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Before my third year started is when I first went. I went with the same mindset. Not to get hired by Tony just to improve so that in due time I would get hired. It sounds as if this is the right time for you to go.

Good Luck
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

The world wide web ain't so big afterall, huh Ben? I'm Anthony.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Thanks for the tip. SOunds like the rice university camp might be better up my alley. I'm only calling rec ball now and next basketball season I'll be moving up to the Jr. High level as suggested by a few guys who icalled with this year that have done high school ball for years. So yeah. That youth camp might not be a bad idea. 2-Man is all I'll deal with until im 20 or so when Hopefully i'll be getting some lower level (1-3A) assignments depending on where i goto college.

Contact information for this camp can be found where?
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the web site. This camp sounds just right for you.
Steve really does a good job with it. Good Luck.

http://www.ricerefschool.com
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Braboa,

I just read the website, and the caliber of play may have changed since I attended. Under the frequently asked questions it specifically mentions that the caliber of play will consist of top high school players in the area. It may be worthwhile to at least contact Steve and ask the question.

Regards,