The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:36pm
KSRef07

Q#34 Resumption of Play

The part one rules test Q34 states, "The ROP procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another". See rule 7.5.1. C. This rule seems to indicate that, if only one team violates (say Team A), the "next" time Team A violates under ROP WHEN AUTHORIZED TO MAKE A THROW IN (which could be 10 minutes later), is charged a technical foul. This implies one situation DOES carry over to another. Thoughts?

Last edited by KSRef07; Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 12:43pm.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:42pm
MABO Member

My thought is this is no different then a Delay of Game. Give the warning and move on, violate again and it should be penalized. I don't have an way of supporting that but its my thought on the situation.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:47pm
KSRef07

I see that point, but also the logic that, under that scenario, there would NEVER be a second violation by one team during a game (like delay of game). Somehow that does not seem to be the intent, otherwise they would just put it under the delay of game situations.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
The part one rules test Q34 states, "The ROP procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another". See rule 7.5.1. C. This rule seems to indicate that, if only one team violates (say Team A), the "next" time Team A violates under ROP WHEN AUTHORIZED TO MAKE A THROW IN (which could be 10 minutes later), is charged a technical foul. This implies one situation DOES carry over to another. Thoughts?
The wording in 7.5.1.c is talking about one resumption of play situation only. 10 minutes later, you've started over. I think you can see that in that it's all under Article 1 which begins "After a time out..." so it's discussing a specific resumption and not the cumulative resumptions over the course of the game. in item c, "...if one team continues to delay when authorized..." They're delaying, the violation gets called, Team B delays gets a violation, now if Team A CONTINUES to delay, then you get the T.

But if Team A delays, gets the violation, then Team B puts the ball in, play goes on, get another TO, and Team A delays now, well, it's just another violation. You go back and start over. Unlike with Delay of Game Warnings/Technical Fouls which build over the course of the game.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:37pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The wording in 7.5.1.c is talking about one resumption of play situation only. 10 minutes later, you've started over. I think you can see that in that it's all under Article 1 which begins "After a time out..." so it's discussing a specific resumption and not the cumulative resumptions over the course of the game. in item c, "...if one team continues to delay when authorized..." They're delaying, the violation gets called, Team B delays gets a violation, now if Team A CONTINUES to delay, then you get the T.

But if Team A delays, gets the violation, then Team B puts the ball in, play goes on, get another TO, and Team A delays now, well, it's just another violation. You go back and start over. Unlike with Delay of Game Warnings/Technical Fouls which build over the course of the game.
I tend to agree with your logic, but subsection C relates to only one team violating while subsect D relates to BOTH teams violating. So, here is the scenario: Team A violates. Team B gets the ball and inbounds. (This falls under subsection C). Under this situation, how could Team A "Continue to violate when authorized to MAKE a throw in", unless it was at another time in the game?

If Team A violated, then Team B violated (This falls under subsection D), then Team A is now authorized to MAKE another throw in and would get a T since BOTH teams violated. This is pretty clear.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 02:06pm
KSRef07

bump it up the list.... bump bump.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

4-38 specifies a violation for the intitial call only. [If violation -> oppponent get the ball.]
7-5-1c "clarifies" that if that team does it again, then a technical foul is charged. [If "T" -> opponent shoots and gets the ball for being a repeating offense.]
7-5-1d further "clarifies"
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 03:21pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
4-38 specifies a violation for the intitial call only. [If violation -> oppponent get the ball.]
7-5-1c "clarifies" that if that team does it again, then a technical foul is charged. [If "T" -> opponent shoots and gets the ball for being a repeating offense.]
7-5-1d further "clarifies"
So, are you thinking the answer to the question is "false" = it DOES carry over from one situation to another? If so, this means no team could ever violate twice in one game. We have all seen multiple violations in one game. How do you reconcile the two?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
So, are you thinking the answer to the question is "false" = it DOES carry over from one situation to another? If so, this means no team could ever violate twice in one game. We have all seen multiple violations in one game. How do you reconcile the two?
"The ROP procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another". -False

In the "no thrower" situation, you may violate only once. Once a team incurs the penalty for that violation [lose the ball], any subsequent penalty is determined to be, not a violation, but a technical foul. For the same action [or inaction, as it were], the situation was remembered and the penalty has escalated.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"The ROP procedure starts over in each situation and a violation in one situation does not carry over to another". -False

In the "no thrower" situation, you may violate only once. Once a team incurs the penalty for that violation [lose the ball], any subsequent penalty is determined to be, not a violation, but a technical foul. For the same action [or inaction, as it were], the situation was remembered and the penalty has escalated.
Mick, I see where your reading of the rules would lead you to think that way. Let me just make sure I understand you. You're saying that, after a TO in Q1, team A doesn't make someone available for a throw-in. We do a 5 second count, award B the throw, which B completes successfully. Now, in Q4, A has the ball after another TO. They're not available, so you place the ball down and assess a technical foul for delay?

If that's what you're saying, I have to disagree based on the comment accompanying 7.5.1, which says "Each different time a team has delayed returning to the court after a time-out or between quarters, the RPP should be used." (Emphasis mine.)
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

But it starts over next time, Mick. If they go through this process and avoid the T, next time there's a TO or intermission it starts over.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

From the Answer Key, the correct answer is "TRUE" and the rules references are 7-5-1 & 8-1-2.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Mick, I see where your reading of the rules would lead you to think that way. Let me just make sure I understand you. You're saying that, after a TO in Q1, team A doesn't make someone available for a throw-in. We do a 5 second count, award B the throw, which B completes successfully. Now, in Q4, A has the ball after another TO. They're not available, so you place the ball down and assess a technical foul for delay?

If that's what you're saying, I have to disagree based on the comment accompanying 7.5.1, which says "Each different time a team has delayed returning to the court after a time-out or between quarters, the RPP should be used." (Emphasis mine.)
Yes, the resumimg play procedure is used in each case, but penalty changes.
Thus, a carry over exists because of value added from doing it a 2nd time.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
But it starts over next time, Mick. If they go through this process and avoid the T, next time there's a TO or intermission it starts over.
Seems to me that the only way to avoid a "T" the next time, is to avoid the violation the initial time.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 06:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
From the Answer Key, the correct answer is "TRUE" and the rules references are 7-5-1 & 8-1-2.
If the answer is true, then the question should be written differently.