The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Following a time out, A1 is to shoot a one-and-one free throw. The second horn has sounded and the administering official has blown his whistle indicating play shall resume. Team B players are properly positioned. Team A is still at its bench.

What happens next?

Rule and case book citation if you can please. Thanks.

Sven
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Since it's after a TO, the administering official should put the ball on the floor inside the FT circle and begin a 10-second count for the FT to be completed. (7-5)

In real life, this is not your first option, but hopefully your last. Try to get them to break the huddle. If they completely ignore you, then put the ball down and start counting.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:34pm
Jerry Blum

Do you call the violation on the shooter when they enter the circle after the ball is placed down? I just want to verify that my thinking on this is actually correct.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Jerry. That's why this is a last option. Once you place the ball on the floor in the circle, the team is screwed out of either a FT or a TO. (If they don't wish to violate by entering the FT circle, they can take a TO and come out on time.)

So they either lose the FT by violating, or they're forced to burn a TO to get the FT. So try to get them to break the huddle without using the RPP in this case. If it's just a throw-in, no problem. They can rush out of the huddle, grab the ball and make the throw-in; but they can't do that if there's a FT involved.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Why is it a violation to enter the circle after the ball has been placed on the floor? The closest thing I can see to justify a violation being called here is that the free thrower may not have either foot beyond the plane of the ft line or the semi circle...So if there is a violation it would be the second the ball is placed on the floor wouldn't it?? Please help me understand LOL
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's a violation b/c, in order to become the FT shooter, one of the players will have to break the plane of the 3-point arc in order to enter the FT circle. 9-1-8. Yeah, I'm stretching it a little, but not much.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It's a violation b/c, in order to become the FT shooter, one of the players will have to break the plane of the 3-point arc in order to enter the FT circle. 9-1-8. Yeah, I'm stretching it a little, but not much.
No need to stretch. Casebook play 9.1.7 gives the rationale- "After the ball is placed at the disposal of the free thrower,he/she is not permitted to leave or enter the free-throw semicircle without violating,until restrictions are ended". It gives rule 9-1-7PENALTY1 as the reference. Of course, the violation that Chuck referenced in 9-1-8 should technically be called first if the FT shooter is outside the arc when the ball is placed on the floor.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks JR and Chuck... a little clearer now...but I agree with Chuck's original post....avoid this one like the plague.......
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, JR. I looked quickly thru the case book, b/c I thought it was there, but couldn't come up with it. udaman!
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 10:41am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
......The second horn has sounded and the administering official has blown his whistle indicating play shall resume.

What happens next?

Sven
Do very many people do this? The reason I ask is I haven't worked with anyone that did this until last Saturday. One of my partners did it and everytime it would catch me off guard and I would think "what the.........." It isn't something that upset/disrupted me just something I'm not used to.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
......The second horn has sounded and the administering official has blown his whistle indicating play shall resume.

What happens next?

Sven
Do very many people do this? The reason I ask is I haven't worked with anyone that did this until last Saturday. One of my partners did it and everytime it would catch me off guard and I would think "what the.........." It isn't something that upset/disrupted me just something I'm not used to.
Assuming that you are referring to blowing the whistle not to placing the ball on the floor, I'd say very few people do it, but that we really should according to the mechanics manual.