The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaDave
I too am doing a Juco scrimmage this week, and I have a question what is the dress going to a scrimmage?

I know for a regular college games one must wear a suit, is it the same for a scrimmage as well. Thanks for any help in this matter.
I had my first scrimmage this past weekend (we could wear shorts during the game). The scrimmage was 90 miles from my house and I was driving with another official. I wore my shorts, a regular t-shirt and my flip flops (as if I was going to a summer rec game). I knew I wasn't dressed appropriately when I picked the other official up (veteran college official), who had slacks and a polo type shirt. I couldn't go back home so I just flew to the game site, got there in time to hit a walmart and picked up a pair of dress type sweat pants and a polo type shirt. I know better now. I was told when I first started attending college camps this year to always look some what business casual. Even if you have on some shorts (khaki or dress) always have a polo type shirt or a shirt with a collar. Scrimmage should be the same. As for real game days (college or high school) it should always be a suit or a jacket at least.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

so how did the game itself go? if this was your first college game, what tips can you give as far as adjusting?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
so how did the game itself go? if this was your first college game, what tips can you give as far as adjusting?
The games went well. Just call your game and know that you've graduated to a whole new different level so your calls need to be elevated. Many have touched on that. My biggest fear was and still is the shot clock. When I saw that shot clock I was like oh lord, I forgot about that thing. Then in this scrimmage they didn't use it. This is one area where I will need to work on. Shoot, l need improvement on checking the clock, let alone a shot clock. Does anyone have any helpful hints on how to get to the point that checking the clock and score becomes almost automatic?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

personally I don't have any idea what the score is during the game until around the last two minutes (intentionally)...at halftime I guess I'll glance up there as we are walking off, but it really doesn't matter until you get down to the end from our perspectives...as far as the clock, I also ignore it until I feel we are around a minute left in each quarter/half. Then I'll glance up every dead ball...when we get around 10 seconds with a live ball, I'll glance up and then try to lock down and count down the last 10 seconds or so in my head...seems to work for me..
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

but thanks for the heads up on the shot clock, you are right that might be the biggest adjustment mechanics-wise, just getting used to having it there and when to reset, etc....speaking of which is it me or is the mechanic for a shot-clock violation the same as basket interference/goaltending? I guess I always knew that from watching games, but never really thought about it....
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
personally I don't have any idea what the score is during the game until around the last two minutes (intentionally)...at halftime I guess I'll glance up there as we are walking off, but it really doesn't matter until you get down to the end from our perspectives...as far as the clock, I also ignore it until I feel we are around a minute left in each quarter/half. Then I'll glance up every dead ball...when we get around 10 seconds with a live ball, I'll glance up and then try to lock down and count down the last 10 seconds or so in my head...seems to work for me..
I would suggest you exclude this method of thinking. You should know everything about the game that you can and you should always know how much time is on the clock. What if a player, when the clock is dead, tosses his teammate the ball and the kid who had the ball thrown to him doesn't touch it till it gets to around halfcourt, and the clock has been running? Or just the opposite, a kid touches the inbound and the clock doesn't start for three seconds? Then what do you do. This is all valuable time in the game, regardless of when it takes place. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS know your clock status! And remember that under 1 min. in the last half that it stops when it clears the net. Don't be afraid to go and reset the time if needs be.

Now I'm going to contradict myself. In you and Joetheref's case, for the time being, I would work on trying to check the clocks, but don't get so caught up on it that you forget to ref the game. Leave it to the more senior refs, they should be able to take care of you until your feet get more than wet. If you work on it little by little it will and should become second nature to check the clock on every transition, every time a shot is attempted, etc.

Once again good luck and have fun.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

you are correct, i neglected to include that i always check the clock when the ball is inbounded to make sure that it starts (when it should), but that doesn't mean that i am acutely aware of HOW MUCH time is left, meaning i am not checking the clock as the ball is live until we near the end of a period..i thought that is what he was getting at...knowing the "status" of the clock (started vs. stopped) versus how much time is left are two different things in my thinking.....the shot clock obviously is a whole different animal which is going to take some adjusting...
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

further to that comment though, wouldn't you agree that in on an inbounds play for instance, if the ball is inbounded into my primary that i should not even be worrying about the clock, but rather be focused on the ball and let one of my partners worry about the clock status? it is a fine point i agree, but the clock will take care of itself usually, you look up at the clock and miss a smack on a reach and we are going the other way for a dunk, you are asking for trouble...just trying to make the point (that you also made towards the end of your post) that in general don't worry about the clock, between the three of you it will work the way it is supposed to...
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

My experience at the college level varies a great deal between the small colleges versus the bigger schools. There are times when the level is not much better than good high schools teams, but they can also be a lot stronger and faster. Be patient as someone mentioned as they can play through more contact. Be professional and approachable but don't let the coaches get away with more than you usually allow. Make sure they know where is the line in the sand. Better to overdress than underdress when you are uncertain.

Good pre-games are essential when working three-person and dealing with new mechanics and rules. Referee your primary and let your partners (especially if they are more experienced) call their areas and deal with the extra stuff. Soemone feels that you deserve this "game" so have confidence in your ability. One of my problems in the past was that I questioned myself too often during a game. If you make a call or a no-call which is questioned, focus on the next call and don't lose your concentration. You can always discuss the disputed call later with your partners.

Review the NCAA points of emphasis at EOfficials.com. This is a good time to emphasize these points such as palming and post play. Regarding the shot clock, it will become second nature to keep track of it during the game. Unlike the game clock, the shot clock will be above the basket or in another position that is easy peak at during live play or at every whistle. I have included a link to an article I wrote for my association which deals with managing the shot clock.

http://66.49.223.188/english/postplay/august_2006.pdf

Last edited by Jay R; Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 06:01pm.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

thanks jay, good stuff!
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
further to that comment though, wouldn't you agree that in on an inbounds play for instance, if the ball is inbounded into my primary that i should not even be worrying about the clock, but rather be focused on the ball and let one of my partners worry about the clock status? it is a fine point i agree, but the clock will take care of itself usually, you look up at the clock and miss a smack on a reach and we are going the other way for a dunk, you are asking for trouble...just trying to make the point (that you also made towards the end of your post) that in general don't worry about the clock, between the three of you it will work the way it is supposed to...
In regards to this, it is up to you and your judgement when you need to look at the clock when the ball is in your primary. If the ball is coming there or is on its way, be prepared for the play at hand, but you should know how much is on the clock when it is inbounding, so if you do have a foul, as soon as you blow the whistle you should check the clock to see how much time has elapsed. Good questions though.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

The trick that I learned to be very helpful in shot clock/game clock awareness is to say out loud the exact time (game clock) that the :35 possession began. IOW, after a change of possesion (made basket, steal, rebound, etc) - when the shot clock starts once possession is established, say "4:50". Now you know two things: 1) the shot clock started on time, and 2) when the possession started.

If the shot clock doesn't start after a couple of seconds you can stop the game and get it corrected. If the shot clock accidentily reset or was not reset properly later in the possession, you now know that the possession started at "4:50". You can then correct the problem as needed based on that info.

For me, this helped me focus on the clock and increased my game awareness. You have to be careful that you don't lose your focus of working the game - but after a while, it will become a habit.

Maybe it wil work for you and maybe not. It certainly helped me.....
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am working my first "college game" next week, it is just a juco pre-season scrimmage, but I am hoping that it leads to more opportunities..anyway I am looking just for some general advice, specific things that I need to be aware of going in. I have worked high school extensively and am aware of the rule differences between nfhs and ncaa, however, I wanted to get some more practical advice. Specifically if anyone can provide some examples, etc, of how the absence of the "airborne shooter" comes in to play I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
One minor mechanical thing you might be able to work on before next week is to not give a preliminary signal (other than on block/charge situations) on the floor like high school officials do. Just a fist at the spot of the foul and then the foul signal at the table.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

just another thanks to all who have posted advice, there are some great tips here that I will definitely use!